Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harvest_close

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Australia
my iPad Air 2 purchased in 2015 - I notice that when it's charging and reaches over the 80% mark, if I pick it up I can feel a tingling sensation from all over the underneath section of the iPad. Early in the charging process there is no tingling.
Do you think this points to nearing end of life? Worse still not safe? Hoping someone sees this post to comment.

harvest_close

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Australia
Sounds like the outlet isn’t grounded properly. Have you tried different outlets or different charging brick and cord

I charge the iPhone on the same lead and charger and nothing like that happens. So anyway - I freaked and ordered a new iPad. A friend had an electrical fire this month with 360k damage so I’m a bit jumpy. I will try charging the old iPad with the new lead. If it continues to tingle I wonder if it might be dangerous and irresponsible of me to give it to family. Thanks so much for getting back to me.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Good luck, the Air2 is a great device. You could take it to an Apple store and have them run diagnostics on it to see if there’s a hardware issue. At least then you could hand it down without worrying

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Were you using an official Apple charging cube? Or a replacement charging power supply? Many third party power supplies, including ones that look exactly like an Apple device, are inferior when it comes to safety. In particular, these imitators do not obey the rules that specify the separation between the highvoltage components and the low voltage side of the charger (the part that potentially comes in contact with your hand via the case). For some hair raising observations about the quality of non-Apple chargers, see this article on Ken Shirrif's blog, "iPad charger teardown: inside Apple's charger and a risky phony:"

http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html

The problem you were originally describing is almost certainly a function of the charger and not the iPad itself; even if it was a failing Apple charger you could probably put the matter to rest by going to an Apple store and buying a new charger (don't trust buying one from Amazon - they're stuffed with counterfeits!).

harvest_close

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Australia
Were you using an official Apple charging cube? Or a replacement charging power supply? Many third party power supplies, including ones that look exactly like an Apple device, are inferior when it comes to safety. In particular, these imitators do not obey the rules that specify the separation between the highvoltage components and the low voltage side of the charger (the part that potentially comes in contact with your hand via the case). For some hair raising observations about the quality of non-Apple chargers, see this article on Ken Shirrif's blog, "iPad charger teardown: inside Apple's charger and a risky phony:"

http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html

The problem you were originally describing is almost certainly a function of the charger and not the iPad itself; even if it was a failing Apple charger you could probably put the matter to rest by going to an Apple store and buying a new charger (don't trust buying one from Amazon - they're stuffed with counterfeits!).

Hi. Yes I was using the original lead and charger which came with the Air 2.
Over time the cable has had a bit of wear & tear plugging it in all the time. Maybe a bit bent. Can’t see it though.
I live over 300 miles from the Apple store and rarely go to the city these days. Thanks so much for your input - good advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.