Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I know of a couple foreclosed homes where the former owners never moved out and the bank never came to see if the house was now empty.

Trust me, they know if it is empty. They're liable, they're going to know if it is empty and secured.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Now there's a business opportunity!

A giant barge. Pick up houses in Florida, truck them to the barge. Move barge from Florida to the UK (with the Gulf Stream, you wouldn't need that big a tug) Put houses (now in the UK) on truck and move to new location. Voila! Cheap Houses.

And before too many people scoff at this, check out this link for Nickel Brothers. I live in a part of the world where houses get moved all the time. And because so many communities have water access, they get moved by barge mostly. The expensive part is getting the house to the barge, and then from the barge to the lot. And by 'expensive' I mean - still a lot cheaper compared to the cost of building a house.

The big problem causing the shortages in the UK is the lack of new locations for new housing.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
Trust me, they know if it is empty. They're liable, they're going to know if it is empty and secured.
They don't know, and they are denying liability.

My neighbor was attacked by a dog at one of these houses. The dog belonged to the former owners, now squatters who've remained there over a year since losing the house. The bank is adamant that they aren't liable and of course the dog owners don't have a pot to pee in, so my neighbor is on the hook for some hefty medical bills.

And the squatters are still in the house 6 months after the attack.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I can't say I'd blame people for squatting. Trying to deal with some of the mortgage banks is worse than dealing with a mule. Totally. You can call and deal with a bank about one issue one day, call back later THAT SAME DAY and the next person will point out that they have no records about you or any of your previous paperwork/calls at all.

*shudder* It's a really, really ugly situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.