Neat iOS trick, or consequence of my usage history?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by MoodyM, May 22, 2013.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I have a contact in my iPhone called "Robert Aitken" who I rarely, if ever, need to send SMS's to, but I have done on occasion.

My dad is also called Robert, and I text him often.

I was getting annoyed because as soon I started typing "Rob...", Robert Aitken was at the top of the list.

To solve this, I renamed Robert Aitken's first name in my contacts to "Bob" (since that's what he calls himself anyway).

However when I start a new SMS and type "Rob..." as the recipient, it STILL finds "Bob Aitken", despite the letters "Rob" not being associated at all with his contact entry.

Is the iPhone simply remembering my history, or is it a neat iOS trick that can associate shortened forms of names with their long form (Bob/Robert, etc)?

2. joshforman macrumors regular

I created a contact on my ipad called Thomas Test and tried writing a text to "Tom". He didn't show up. I'm guessing it's remembering your previous sent messages.

3. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

4. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

I think it is a bug.

After I've deleted a contact (and deleted all messages), the name still shows up when composing a new message. But if I tap on the name, only the number shows up in the message (the name dissappears).

Will report it to Apple ASAP.

5. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

why are you starting a new txt to your dad and not replying to an existing conversation?

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

Jeez. Did you even read the thread?

And why would that concern you anyway....

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

8. ppeyton1143 macrumors member

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Did what ?
    If you mean restore, but failed to set up as new phone or you restored from backup which brings cached contacts back onto your phone, you wasted your time.