NeatDesk or Scan Snap S1500M

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AztecKing, Jun 10, 2012.

1. AztecKing macrumors member

AztecKing

I'm trying to figure out which one to buy and would like to know if anybody has any experience with either one of these. I'm leaning toward the NeatDesk but keep reading bad reviews so I'm not sold yet. I really like the Neat Works software but according to reviews I've read it sounds like there are still some bugs that need to be worked out for the Mac before it's ready for prime time. I also saw on YouTube that the company is moving toward saving to the Cloud. Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Search here for ScanSnap and you should get lots of hits. The general consensus seems to be that ScanSnap S1500M is the gold standard for Macs.

This seems to be doubly true if you go for DevonThink AI based database to go along with it.

After doing my research here and others, that is what I ended up with and it is superb. Just do a search and it will become clear.

/Jim

3. AztecKing thread starter macrumors member

AztecKing

Thanks Jim for the reply. I checked those posts out and it looks like only one person uses NeatWorks. I like the idea of what NW does for receipts and from what I read DT Pro doesn't do anything like this. It would help me out come tax time for sure.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I'm not aware of what NeatWorks does with recipes. I personally just stick my tax related receipts into a yearly folder and review them at tax time. Your needs may be more advanced than mine.

I do use mine to scan any paper that I would normally keep filed. The only exception are legal originals, especially if they have an official seal. I still scan those... but I also file originals.

/Jim

5. AztecKing thread starter macrumors member

AztecKing

My understanding is that Neat Works allows you to separate receipts into different categories like tax deductible, business, etc. I need that expecially because of the amount of receipts I get.

6. ApplEngineer macrumors regular

ScanSnap hands down, it's extremely quick and offers front and back scanning during each scan. I had the neat scanner and it is way too slow, especially if you have a lot of documents be prepared to take a while to scan them all.

I believe you can configure the ScanSnap to work with neatworks. Plus it comes with adobe acrobat, which in itself is a couple of hundred $'s.

Also offers overlapping page detection (it will stop the scanning process if it detects pages stuck together).

I can't say enough about how quick and easy it is to use.

7. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I purchased Neatdesk and returned it after a bunch of problems. First the program wouldn't open correctly and then the scanner was slow and didn't work as well as advertised. I only kept it for a week and had had enough. So far I haven't repurchased anything else but will end up going with Scan Snap

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I guess I do not see the advantage. What program would not let you file things into whatever category your desire? You also have options of adding tags if that is your preference. Personally, I use folders instead of tags... it is just my style.

Unless I am misunderstanding something... I would guess you are focusing on a micro-feature that offers little unique value over anything else.

/Jim

9. brentsg macrumors 68040

ScanSnap S1500M is an amazing device for sure. Mine's been flawless.