Neatreceipts Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andyljohnson, Jan 25, 2009.

1. andyljohnson macrumors newbie

andyljohnson

I purchased a Neatreceipts scanner and windows software package at a local store because it was a crazy discount and I read that it is the same scanner as the Mac version.

The problem now is that it does not appear that I can download the Mac software. I purchased the software online and now I have to wait for shipping. Does anyone know if this software can be downloaded anywhere (legally)?

2. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Honestly - unless they've made MAJOR improvements to the Mac version in the last few months, I'd stick with the PC version running under Fusion or Parallels. When I tried the Mac version, I was stunned at the lack of functionality (like - can't create an expense report!). I contacted NR and they said "yeah - the mac version isn't really ready..." Geesh.

3. mahen macrumors member

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Ah, yes, NeatReceipts Mac. Another reason I maintain a Windows presence (along with Quicken). Well, that and my company's apps are purely Windows-based, and there's those silly "IE-only" sites I have to use.

Along with no expense reports (pretty much the only reason I use it), you can't import existing NR backup files (*.nrbak). In the last year alone I have more than 50 expense reports totaling over $110K, making that sorta important to me. I really don't see why there's such a huge disconnect between the versions in functionality.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Weird, from what I understood the new NeatReceipts for Mac (NeatWorks 2.0) has even more functionality than the Windows version. This is based on what Leo Laporte et al on MacBreak Weekly (TWiT.tv) said.

My wife and I have been thinking of buying just the software as we already have a great Canon all-in-one printer with full duplex scanning.

6. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Maybe this is a new update - I definitely have to check that out. All I can say is that the Mac version I tried was an embarrassment to NR. They should never have released it...

7. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I must say I am glad this topic came up! I have not used my Mac version of Neat Receipts for quite a while so after dusting it off after reading the thread it did come up and tell me about the NeatWorks 2 upgrade (for the 'should have been beta' Neat Receipts 1.x) and it looks a whole lot better.

Support for business cards, expense reports and quite a bit more now have me thinking it is time to check it out in detail, particularly to compare with the new 4.0 version of the PC software that supersedes my 3.x version.

9. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I have been looking for help on NeatReceipts myself. I am drowning under a sea of paper, and need help! Looked a bit at Neat Receipts and have some questions of anybody who has used this program/setup. Can anyone help?

1. Are receipts that are scanned in able to be manipulated -- in other words, do I need to organize by date, account, etc. before I scan, or can the software do that for me after scanning?

2. The website says something about importing to Quicken. Can someone give some details about this? I use direct connect to download from my bank, therefore the items are already in Quicken. Is there any advantage to also importing from Neat Receipts? Just thinking that somehow it may show in the comment space what the purchase was for?

3. Any comments on the reporting functions? What can I do with it?

I'm sure I'll have more questions before I purchase, but this should get me started! Any and all comments are greatly appreciated!

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The OCR function manages that for you--mostly. Sometimes a date or value has to be corrected, but it's not too major of an issue. NR is one of the most accurate I've seen in initial scan.

Scan your receipts, export to Quicken (which then populates the appropriate fields), and then when the charge/check/debit comes in through Direct Connect, you just match it to the pre-populated entry. Great personal audit tool.

Can't help there, don't use the reports.

11. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Thanks! That is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for! Especially the answer to #2! I can really see how that will help me! I have looked around on the NR website, and it seems to me they only provide general info, and if I am going to pay the price for this, I need to make sure it will be of help to me. Thanks again!

12. skybolt macrumors 6502a

One more quick question. I have several accounts/registers in my Quicken program. I am assuming that I will need to scan receipts for each account separately if I want to import them to Quicken, that the NR program will not be able to identify which receipt goes with which account. Is that correct?

Thanks again for your help!

13. reiichiroh macrumors regular

How does it compare with ReceiptWallet or Yep?

14. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I think you're right on that. TBH, I don't use NR for that (I only manage expense report receipts), and don't export to Quicken as their respective uses for me are separate. NR for business, Quicken for personal.

15. jmirisola macrumors newbie

NEAT - Problems

I purchased NEATDESK for MAC yesterday because I have a mountain of paperwork for my business and home that I needed to finally get organized. I sent the following message to their tech support this morning and still have not received a response:

"I have just set this up, having purchased it yesterday. The first few things I scanned went fine. I then scanned 40 items as documents and once they were scanned, I added another 17. This was almost 2 hours ago and it says "importing from scanning" with "idle" under it, and "scanning" with the blue and white rolling bar. It seriously isn't supposed to take this long, is it?"

Created
    03/04/2013 01:18 PM
    Updated
    03/04/2013 04:12 PM
    Product

Neat for Mac
    Neat for Mac 4.0

Category

Scanner
    Image Quality

Problem Type
    My scanner does not produce an image
    Computer Type
    Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
    Model Number
    ND-1000"

When I didn't receive a response, I sent this as well:

" I turned everything off and back on and was able to connect again. scanned a few more items and got hung up again and had to turn everything off again. I have scanned 6 pages an hour ago and am still waiting for them to finish processing. I have stacks and stacks of paper I need to get filed so I can do my taxes and get on with my business. I purchased a years subscription and am NOT Happy right now. I have pretty much lost a days work on this and gotten no where.
    Auto-Response 03/04/2013 01:18 PM
    Based on what you've asked, the following answers might be relevant.
    Customer via CSS Web 03/04/2013 01:18 PM" And, I don't know what they are referring to as far as relevent answers go, as there weren't any. I also noticed that they have shut down their user forum which, as of this morning, was still running.:mad:

16. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Do yourself a favor and just buy a Fujitsu Scansnap. They have a new model which just replaced the incredible S1500M... I think it is the 1500Xi or something like that. It is superb... even better than the S1500M. No competitor is even close.

If you want a spectacular document database program to go with it... Devonthink Pro Office is at the top.

/Jim