Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doherrick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
I have an NEC 2190UXi (1600 x 1200) monitor and just ordered a P241W (1920 x 1200) to replace the 2190UXi.
In August, I purchased a new 13” MBP and hooked it up to the 2190 using the NEC DVI cable and Apple Display Port to DVI adapter to the DVI-D port on the monitor.
The images were terrible: Washed out, dull looking. Nothing I did helped. Long story, but I returned the MBP in two days and didn’t have time to get Apple tech support.
I did not load NaViSet or SpectraView (I understand that SpectraView doesn’t play well with 10.8), but neither are currently installed on my ThinkPad.

I use this monitor daily with a ThinkPad T60p (FireGL v5250) and the images are awesome.
I have also used an NEC 2170 PVA monitor with the same laptop and a generic, cheap, Dell business desktop. Again perfect images.

I want to try again with a MBP for music (PureMUSIC) and photography (Canon software and Aperture)
Did I do something wrong, miss something in the set-up, or maybe HD4000 just won’t drive this monitor.
Maybe a bad DP/DVI adapter? (I know the DVI cable is good)
Any better results with 15” MBP with AMD or NVIDIA cards?
The P241W has DP and DVi inputs. Any preference to hook up to a MBP?

I posted here because I know that many photographers use this series of monitors with Macs and I have read posts where members recommend NEC Pro monitors.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.