NEC to exit LCD business

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Watchbird, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Watchbird macrumors newbie

News reports dated January 30, 2009 indicate that NEC intends to exit the LCD business area this year. However, it appears still unclear if this decision is for panels only, or also includes the monitor products (e.g. the 2690's and 3090's--possibly using panels from other vendors?). I have included these monitors as candidates for purchase for a mac pro based system and I am wondering if anyone has confirmation that these monitors and support for these monitors will continue.

2. Weepul macrumors regular

I also am considering those displays and I'm putting +1 interest in any news...

3. mrfaize macrumors member

Do you have a link to an article?

Edit: Never mind - http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-01/31/content_10739274.htm

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Makes Apple's recent deal with LG look brilliant.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

IIRC, NEC's already using LG panels. :eek: I wish the article presented more detail. As I'm now wondering if they mean to quit making monitors all together. :confused:

6. mrfaize macrumors member

Looking at some of the news reports, some state that they are exiting LCD Display and others say exiting industrial displays.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Would you happen to have any links?
    I'd truly appreciate it. :)

I'd really hate to see NEC leave the professional monitor business. Too few players as is, that can make one at a reasonable cost, which is why I had to leave Eizo Nanao products. I dearly loved them, but their pricing pushed me away. :( Went for NEC's LCD2490WUXi instead.

8. Watchbird thread starter macrumors newbie

Clarification re: NEC LCD business

I made the same thread post over at the "Mac Forums" on Dpreview.com.
    Will Hollingworth, Sr. Product Design Manager for NEC Display Solutions of America, responded with a message about a GEARLOG posting that indicated that NEC was not exiting the LCD MONITOR business. However, NEC is reducing the number of monitor models and is buying panels from other manufacturers. Will's post on Dpreview is here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1017&message=30872683

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

The link points to a post discussing CONTAX. I didn't find it in a quick search.

Reducing the number of models makes sense, and at least it isn't totally dropping monitor production. I hope this is the case.

I'll try doing a more exhaustive search later this evening. No time now. :rolleyes:

10. Watchbird thread starter macrumors newbie

Edited incorrect URL reference in msg. post #9

Mea culpa.

Sorry about that nanofrog.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool: No Problem. :) Thanks for fixing it. :D

Read through it, and I'm glad to see it isn't going to end their display line.
    It could affect both the quality, types of displays produced, and cost, as they may need to go 3rd party for panels.

We'll have to wait and see. :eek: ;)