Necessary to Backup Render Files?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nyycavo24, Feb 17, 2009.

1. nyycavo24 macrumors member

This may be a stupid question, so I apologize in advance, but...

I've been working on a project for upwards of a year now, and I have all of my media files backed up via online storage websites. The longer this project goes, the more paranoid I get about losing all of my data.

Periodically, I will try and backup my render files, fearing that if something happens, I will need both the render files and the media files to get back up and running....is this true?

I guess what I'm asking is....Hypothetically speaking if I were to lose EVERYTHING except the project file and the corresponding media...is the worst thing that can happen that I would just have to render the project again? I wouldn't lose any of the transition, aspect ratio, slow mo, etc. information contained within the project right?

Thanks in advance.

2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I believe you are correct. Render files are derivative data, so as long as you have your project files and your source files, you'd just have to re-render everything and bear the annoyance of the time that it required.

There are those out there who are more masterful at this sort of thing so if I'm wrong I'm sure a subsequent response will correct my error.

3. TimNiego macrumors newbie

Backing up render files

No need to backup the render files unless you have an incredibly slow machine. All the info you need to recreate your work is in the project files and original media, but remember to back up audio tracks that were imported, images imported, etc. because they are not part of the project file.

4. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

OK thanks....so just to be clear...

I could hypothetically delete all of my render files right now, and as long as I have the original media (the project file, movies, pictures, and audio) FCE will automatically make everything back to normal again with a simple render?