Necessary to get a case for the MPB 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by senorchang, Aug 7, 2010.

1. senorchang macrumors newbie

I have an iPod Touch which I got from the back to school promotion and of course it was recommended that I get a case (which I did) seeing as how the back was prone to scratches. However, with the Macbook I'm not sure whether or not I should get a case, does the MBP get scratches easily/dents? I'm contemplating whether or not I want to spend 30 dollars on a case, if not I might get a custom Bender Decal on it :D So how about it?

2. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

I have a Wrapsol invisible shield on mine and love it, whenever my 'Evil Monkey" decal decides to show up :)mad:) I'm going to put that on and re-apply the Wrapsol so that's protected too.

Just my $.02

3. Yimbie macrumors member

It's not necessary if you're careful with your electronics and have a sturdy backpack, messenger bag, or whatever you use to transport it. I have an Incase messenger bag for my 17" MBP and it works very well. Love the faux fur interior for the notebook.

4. TrojanX macrumors member

TrojanX

Well, it is not neccesary. 2 weeks after getting mine I got a small scratch from my dad putting his keys on top of it. Metal + Metal is not good. So I got PO'ed and made him buy me a case. I opted for the Clear plastic shell case. I hated it. It made my laptop felt very very cheap(crappy plastic) and bulky so I bought a wrapsol from Frys.com. It was 29 bucks which is the cheapest price I had found. I slapped it on and it was amazing. I don't regret it a bit!

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

6. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I would say get a sleeve of some description. It doesn't mark that easily but when it does get scratched you have shiny metal which stands out a mile from the matte finish of the metal.

7. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I got the Speck See Thru Satin Red cover for my MBP 13". I just see so many horror stories about people denting their Macbook Pros!

On top of that, everywhere on campus I see dents on MBPs!!!

I'm not taking any chances:

1. Speck See Thru Satin Red Case
    2. Laptop Backpack
    3. Be Careful

Sometimes I wish I just bought some crap cheap laptop and not give a damn but MBPs are just too tempting.

8. senorchang thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, so what I'm getting is that cases are necessary to prevent dents, so no decals? :(

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

those cases don't prevent getting dents.

I agree with the rest in getting a sleeve for when you transport. Occasionally I might spill something in my bag. The sleeve will protect from spillage. Since owning my Powerbook G4 for 6yrs it fell off my bed, and cause a small/minor dent. It was the softest fall but still I got a small dent. Something you wouldn't notice unless I pointed it out. My guess it that since it was hot the Aluminum was a little soft. If you are good with your gadgets then don't worry.

When I set my MBP/PB down I make sure it in a safe place. Where it can't fall to the ground. Sometimes I leave it on top of my Tucano Sleeve when not in use.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ditto for the Spec See-thru Satin case. Gives you the protection of a sleeve and the durability of a hard case.

11. Bnikel160 Guest

speck see thru satin is pretty good, or an incase sleeve if you dont want the bulk of a case

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I have a whitebook and use a speck hard shell on it... I also carry it in a dedicated case (a Pelican 1090 waterproof briefcase - this gives me room for my mouse and power supply also)...

I like to have it in a dedicated case so that other things don't scratch/dent it up...

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I just opt for international mobile notebook insurance (inc. accidents).. it covers more than a case would plus it offers complete peace of mind should some accident occur. Yeah, it won't stop you from scratching the thing, sharing your coffee with it or what have you but it does offer a full "New for old" cover!

Best of all, you can enjoy the machine without carting around excess weight!!:D