Necessary to keep swapped-out hard drive and RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tnsmart, Jul 24, 2012.

1. tnsmart macrumors 6502

I've just received my new Macbook Pro and will shortly be swapping out the hard drive and RAM for a drive and RAM that I bought separately.

Do you think it's necessary to keep the original parts rather than selling them as I'd like to do? If Apple ever has to replace the laptop under warranty, are they going to need the original parts in it? Do you see any other reason to keep the parts?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rocky244 macrumors regular

I'm not going to know the exact answer to this, as I rarely upgrade and need a repair down the road, but for someone who will help you in the future, I think it will probably be useful to know which machine you are using, as I think some machines may not allow user-servicing; in which case it would be an obvious violation of warranty if you serviced it and then needed a repair.

So just for kicks, throw up your model info.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can put the drive in an external enclosure and use it for backups or added storage. It's a good idea to keep the RAM, in case you ever have problems with the upgraded RAM. Also, it's not a bad idea to put the original RAM in before taking your Mac in for service, as it's possible your upgraded RAM may not make it back to you after service.

All MBPs allow upgrading RAM and hard drive except the MBPR.

4. tnsmart thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. It's a mid-2012 15" (non-retina) Macbook Pro. I've been told by both an Apple sales representative and forum members here that I can change out the RAM and hard drive myself without voiding the warranty.

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

I usually just end up selling my removed components.

6. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

the only issue you might run into is if your laptop bricks.

You can't send it back to them with no hd and no ram.

7. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Yes that is true but you don't want to send in your MBP with your 16gb of RAM and a SSD and they have to replace it. Better to send it in with the original RAM and HDD.