Necessity for over 64GB?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JonDownin, Jun 6, 2017.

1. JonDownin macrumors member

What do you fill your iPad with? I have a 16GB Mini 4 and a 32GB iPP 9.7. 16GB is definitely too small, but I have not filled my 32GB 9.7 after 8 months or so. I jumped on the 10.5 64GB and have next to no worries about filling it, but I see so many others here mainly going for 256 or 512 and am kinda at a loss about how they need that kind of space.

FYI, I'm VERY cloud dependent. I keep all photos, files, music, etc. off-device, so I'm sure that makes a big impact, but I have a fair number of apps/games (50 or so).

Anyway, just curious. Cheers!

2. gui0312 macrumors 6502

gui0312

I was wondering the same thing. I have an iPad Pro 128GB and only have 28.3GB in use at the moment. I have some music downloaded, about 7-8 GB worth, but yeah most of my stuff is on the cloud. I think saving the $100 for GB’s I’ll never use sounds like a good deal.

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Comics, comics and more comics with maybe a handful of movies and TV episodes. LTE data is more expensive than internal storage.

It's not necessity but pure want. Mind, 16GB is way too small just for the apps I use. Would need to constantly delete stuff. 32GB would be cutting it close with not much breathing room. 64GB would probably be fairly comfortable.

4. JonDownin, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

JonDownin thread starter macrumors member

Ah yeah, downloaded video for on-the-go will really do it I guess. At most I'll download a YouTube vid at a time, but I'm always between wifi, so I never load up a ton.

5. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

It certainly depends on your own needs, YMMV. Like you said you are very cloud dependent, then you probably wont need much space.
    I personally only used ~30G everyday, but i travel a lot, internationally. So I'd buy at least 128 just so i can store extra photo/video/documents for the flight, or while the internet isn't fast enough while I'm abroad.
    Also, since iOS 11 defaults HEVC, and HEIF, so if you have a lot of photo/video taken/stored on your ipad now, it will only take ~50% once you go iOS 11.

6. JonDownin thread starter macrumors member

Totally makes sense. International travel certainly changes things. And yeah, those new iOS defaults are going to be great!

7. CatherineVeraGat Suspended

Your a Cloud person, you store everything in the cloud so that's why you only need 64GB of onboard storage.

8. JonDownin thread starter macrumors member

I guess part of my question is also what necessitates keeping things on the device that could be kept in the cloud. Prior to going all-in on Gphotos I had 40+GB of photos, but there really has been nothing but positives to changing how I store them.

9. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Maybe in case you don't have access to the internet?

10. Kiezpirat80 macrumors 6502

Kiezpirat80

One reason could also be to get faster storage.
    The 32GB iPhone 7 has much slower storage than the 128GB Model.
    Maybe it's the same for 64 and 256 GB on the iPad Pro?

11. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Yep.

This alone is a good reason why you should go for the 512GB option. You'll get the very best performance.

12. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

RAW photo files and video editing require more storage.

I'm slowly getting into using more RAW files and video editing and my available space has been shrinking.

13. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

Couple reasons,
    1. Privacy
    Are u able to get full resolution from raw photos on iPads?
    When I import raw photos to my iPad, the resolution is dramatically reduced

14. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

128 gb iPad Pro. My Dropbox, onedrive and iCloud Drive files are also stored locally on my iPad (synced via documents). Over 10+ gb of photos. Occasionally downloads videos to air video. Able 100 apps installed. Currently have used up about 70+ gb of space.

15. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

How do u download a youtube video? thought those apps were no longer available

16. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

It all comes down to how much you want on the device at any one time.

I think apps are also getting much heavier. If games continue to match console quality then we'll see them taking up multiple GBs too! Though I hope Metal etc keeps even large game files lower than on console and PC.

17. JonDownin thread starter macrumors member

Sure, that makes sense. Hopefully the 64GB version is on par this time around.
    Can't argue that.
    YouTube Red allows for downloading vids for offline viewing.

18. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Movies.... As it is my iPhone 7 with 128gb has like 3gb of space left. Photos as well. I think I have like 5 gb of photos and videos.

19. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

For only $100 more, going to 256GB was a no brainer. I could get by with 64, but might as well increase resale value and be prepared for the future. Apps, movies, games, tv shows, music, all adds up.

20. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

That's kinda how SSDs work. Sorta like an internal striped RAID. Unless the flash storage is already bottlenecked by bus or something, you get a bit less than double the sequential performance when you double the NAND size.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2017 ---
    You usually don't get a dollar for dollar return on storage and LTE upgrades in the secondary market. However, bigger storage makes it a bit easier to sell the device.

21. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I think it's based on the app you use. Lightroom can import RAW files.

22. vistokid macrumors 6502

I'm wondering the same thing. I just ordered a 64GB Wifi and have never gone over 64GB on any of my devices. But for $100 more it might be worth it to get 256GB. However shipping times are about double (or more) for the 256GB now.

Decisions-Decisions.

23. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I'm definitely getting the 256GB. With the iPad pretty much being capable of being a full computer now, I'm going to take a shot at it being my main machine - video editing and all. I shoot about 50-70 gigs of film on a given trip so that eliminates the 64GB version for me.

24. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

£90 more for quadruple the storage of the base model; def a no brainer! :)

25. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP