Neck strain

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by VietlOtUs, Mar 3, 2009.

1. VietlOtUs macrumors member

I think the macbook is too low for my eyes.

I cannot come up with any other reasons. The widescreen makes the screen wider but the length of it is lower than my Sony laptop.

Does anyone have this problem? Your neck get stiff?

Maybe I am just bsing. :/ :(:(:(

What can I do to fix this problem?

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

You could get a laptop stand or external monitor if (as I presume) you are using it on a desk or table of some sort. That might help with the next strain since you won't have to look down towards the screen.

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I think that's very common with people who use laptops for a long period of time.

What I do now:
    Macbook on a stand, external keyboard and mouse. This has helped me and my posture a lot.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes and I had to get an external keyboard/mouse/Griffin iClear or whatever their old stand was. Made a WORLD of difference.

5. VietlOtUs thread starter macrumors member

thanks u guys.

what brand would u recommend? i've looked and they are quite pricey.

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Well if you don't care about looks *too* much, do it the way I did :)

I just took an old cardboard box and cut it in half (at an angle) so I could place my MBP on top of it and my external HD and USB hub inside. I quite like this setup, since I covered the front with black paper.

7. VietlOtUs thread starter macrumors member

could you take a picture?

i used the box that my macbook came in but that's not high enough.

8. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Sorry x 2: crappy mobile phone pic and quite a mess with all the cables (but those would still be around with a "pro" stand ^^)

Attached Files:

9. VietlOtUs thread starter macrumors member

hehe Thank you for taking the time to snap those photos. I like. :D

10. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

overall, the best is the griffin elevator.

the reason is portability. you can easily take it apart into 3 pieces and easily transport it.

Don't skimp and get the previous generation iCurve because that is one piece, and can't be disassembled.

great quality and relatively reasonable price compared to the more "obscure" ones that don't collapse.
    ------------------
    if you think about it, not having a strained neck is worth paying the $30 or so for the stand. you'll be able to use the computer much long without any problems.

a definite requirement for gamers or power users because it increases stamina. and it will help your posture if you spend THAT much time with a laptop. who wants that "slump" that gamers/power users have?

11. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I made a laptop stand out of a binder. Cheap and it took about 5 minutes to perforate the top.