necropheliac or moron? (Sally Anne Bowman Murder)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by pachyderm, Feb 21, 2008.

1. pachyderm macrumors 601

pachyderm

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Before someone says something smart....something that will contribute to the convo, I want to say something that may be inappropriate. I haven't read the article yet, but saw her photo. She's hot.

Ok, continue...

EDIT: Ewwww......

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

another link, one where you can see more of her. (you sickos!)

This case is revolting. I don't care if he killed her or not, having "sex" (term used loosely) with an unconscious woman is a vile and very disturbing thing to do. It's better that this guy (again, term used loosely) not be out walking amongst the rest of us.

GROSS!

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I agree the way I see it is that either way he is going to end up going to prison (rape) this case is just about determining if it was him that kill her.

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Could not agree more. This pile of s*** should never be allowed out of prison. In fact he should be placed with the general population in the 'Scrubs' or the 'green' and leave them to deal with him.

6. stomer macrumors 6502a

If she were already dead, is it rape? It should at least be attempted rape.

He's been charged with murder and he's going to have a hard time convincing the jury that it wasn't him. But, if he isn't found guilty of murder, then I wonder if he'll be found guilty of other charges, if indeed there are any.

If he didn't murder her, but is found guilty, well, that wouldn't be a massive injustice but rather a just punishment for being such a disgusting moron.

7. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

It's a moot argument in my mind, as the penalty for both crimes should be the same.

8. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

As far as I know, and I may be wrong, but I believe that necrophilia is not illegal in the UK.

9. sreedy macrumors 6502a

But if he didn't do it and he's found guilty then there will still be a murderer out there! He's going to go down for something but only the killer should be going down for murder!

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What I was saying was that if his version of events was found to be true and she was unconisous at the time then that is rape. If he is found to be lying and she was dead then that is necrophila. If he is lying and it found to be that he killed her then it is murder and necrophila/rape depending when he committed the act, end result = prision.

It is ilegal was introduced as a specific offence in 2004, although it probably fell under a different law before then.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You don't care if he killed her or not?

He either committed rape+necrophilia, or rape+necrophilia+murder. Unfortunately, his punishment is going to be similar regardless of which one he did (maybe 10 years in jail). After all, he seems crazy enough for people to just feel bad for his mental state.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

So at BEST, he's a would-be rapist (and accidental necrophiliac). Nobody's going to lose any sleep when this guy gets locked away.

13. stomer macrumors 6502a

If he's not guilty of murder but is guilty of necrophilia, would it be possible for him to walk free having already served a certain amount of time in prison? The maximum jail term for necrophilia is 2 years.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But I think I read somewhere that he actually thought she was alive at the time, but was a bit dizzy and passed out on the ground woozy from overdrinking. He's an accidental-necrophiliac, but actually a rapist. His intent was rape. Can he be found guilty of necrophilia if there was never any intent to sleep with a dead person? He thought he was raping a live person.

Ok....going to bed now.

15. stomer macrumors 6502a

You're right. My sentiments are that this guy should go to jail. The murderer, whether it's him or not, should definitely also brought to justice.

16. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Thankfully I was wrong.

However not nice to see the maximum sentence of 2 years

Offence of Necrophilia

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

2 years is very low imo.

Although there would have to be a case to determine if she was a live or dead at the time he committed the act. In which case he would probably argue that she was dead. 2 years vs. life. Either way he is screwed and rightly so. I think that it is a case of intended rape but he could get away with necrophilia.

This of course assumes he is found innocent of the actual murder.

side note: the wording of the law is specifically aimed at males, does that mean women can't be convicted of necrophilia, or having sex in toilets, exposure + probably more.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

bad choice of words on my part maybe. I just think the whole thing is revolting regardless of if he was the one who killed her or not. he's just very very sick. I don't have any pity for him either.

19. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Agreed, I think if he turns out to not be the murder then they'll hit him with attempted rape or something else, as 2 years for that is not good enough!

20. stomer macrumors 6502a

I'm not so sure. It's not a subject I care much about, however, necrophiliacs are clearly not a danger to society and the benefit of locking them up for 2 years is questionable. I wonder if psychotherapy would be a more effective help them, as well as being cheaper than having them in jail for 2 years.

21. sreedy macrumors 6502a

You see this is why I think this guy can't claim necrophilia, as in court he said he thought she was unconscious...... which makes it rape as that's what he thought he was doing.

From the BBC "Mark Dixie, accused of killing Sally Anne Bowman, said he did not realise she was dead until after he had sex with her body, the Old Bailey heard."

I agree that purposely finding a dead body and doing "stuff" to it is less of a danger to society, so maybe 2 years is just.

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think he's trying to save his reputation, which is actually quite funny, in a creepy sort of way.

23. stomer macrumors 6502a

If he thought she was unconscious but she was actually dead then he is guilty of attempted rape and necrophilia, but not rape itself. Necrophilia and rape are mutually exclusive, otherwise there'd be no need for a specific law against Necrophilia. Reading the Sex Offences Act. 2003, basically, rape is defined as person 'A' having sex with person 'B' without person 'B's consent. The frame of mind of person 'A' is never mentioned so therefore irrelevant.

If his version of events is true, I don't think it's clear that he raped her, although he certainly, by his own admission, attempted rape. It would probably make a difference to his sentence if he were to be found not guilty of murder.

If the law views attempted rape as rape, then I'm completely wrong.

Obviously, IANAL.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

"I'm not a necropheliac, I was trying to rape her!"

Which does the law penalize stronger, rape or necrophilia? Moron either way.

25. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I trend to agree, it seems as though they a trivialising a serious event... I find it disturbing that he's disgusted with himself for raping a corpse but he seems as thought he'd be ok with it if she just past out.

Another pro for the death penalty or chemical castration.