NEDD ADVICE: Looking to buy external hdd firewire 800

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by djearlybird, Feb 22, 2008.

1. djearlybird macrumors regular

Hey guys, I am looking to buy a external hard drive. I want it to be firewire 800, and 500GB or higher. USB just won't cut it. Do you guys know of any great deals on the net? :apple:

EDIT: Sorry for the title, apparently I can't spell :(

2. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I did a lot of digging around when I made my last purchase's for drives & eventually plumped with the Buffalo 1tb fw400. I have a couple of Lacie fw800 120gb's, & to be honest, the difference is not that noticeable if you are doing multiple things at once (video streaming & working on creative suite etc,) so I suppose it depends on if you feel you REALLY need 800 over 400....

Hope this is of use.

3. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

I picked up a G-RAID2 from http://www.g-technology.com/index.cfm - I'd heard lots of people in my industry have used them to great success as far as reliability. I have a 500GB version but you can get up to a 2 TB model now, I believe. Those tend to be really expensive, I think, but the 500 GB was priced well. It's actually two drives set up as a RAID 0 via FW800 and quite speedy!

You can also get external FW400 enclosures and pop your own HD in there. I've made two of those (Acomdata aluminum enclosures - the simple, inexpensive ones) and they work nicely as well. Not to mention the ability to daisychain them. I don't know if they make FW800 enclosures or how much more expensive they'd be.

4. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

Don't really need the 800, 400 is sufficient. Just said 800 because I have the connection, and it never gets used :)

5. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

Say - those look nice as well... have you used them?

6. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Then I suppose it depends on your wallet chap. If you can afford & money is no object then 800fw esata is the way to go. However, I find the 400 is ample for video etc. & graphics. I have found Buffalo excellent & their site has a few flavours which can be found much cheaper on the net.

I'm sure others will have recommendations, so enjoy shopping!!:)

7. fandsw macrumors regular

I have one, the 750GB FW800/400/USB. Nice setup, very complete and a perfect match for the MP....