Need 2 accessory recommendations for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patrick G, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Patrick G macrumors regular

Can anyone recommend a dock and any needed adapters that will allow me to use a new MacBook Pro with BOTH of my Dell LED monitors, which have DVI-D ports.

Also, I'd love a recommendation for NAS/external SSD storage (SSD because I want fast + no moving parts).

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

You might be able to purchase the CalDigit TS3 Thunderbolt 3 dock (or TS3 Lite if you do not need a single-cable solution), and use a DisplayPort-->DVI-d adapter for the first display, and a USB-C-->DVI-d adapter for the second display, both ran from the dock. (Someone else could confirm the viability of this.)

3. jerryk, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

jerryk macrumors 601

Most consumer level NASes support 2.5 and 3.5 inch drives, so work with the 2.5" SSD form factor. I use Netgear, but have tried Synology units. Both offer good value and performance.

I do not use SSDs because the cost of the 14 TB I have is prohibited and I do not need the speed for secondary/backup storage. Plus they are limited to a best case of 800 Mbit/sec on a 1000 Mbit/sec (Gigabit) ethernet connections unless you do bonding.

4. Patrick G thread starter macrumors regular

5. ZapNZs, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

One would practically need to sell a kidney to science to get 14 TB of SSDs!!!

I recently sold a client two 4TB EVOs that he plans to use in RAID 0 as his main drive...his bill came to something like $3,300. :eek:
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2017 ---
    If you are purchasing a touchbar model, yes. If you are purchasing a nTB model, I do not think that will work (even if the USB-C port on the dock carries DisplayPort over USB-C, you would have to use the other port for power - so, with this hub and a nTB, you could hook up either 1 display + power, or 1 display + no power, depending on the hub - as an alternative, you might be able to use one of the USB-A-->DVI adapters, but I am not sure how well that works through a USB-C dock with macOS.)

If you are getting a nTB, you might be able to purchase one USB-C-->DVI-d adapter, one of the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapters that you can use for passthrough charging and a video signal, and a HDMI to DVI-d cable. But the CalDigit TS3 Lite would IMO make more sense economically, considering how much more you get for like $75 extra, FWIW.