Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geekboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2008
I only have the budget to buy one of the two 20 inch iMacs. I'd prefer the $1199 offering with the 1mg of ram. I don't open alot of applications. I'm currently on a 7 year old G4 (667 mhz) with OS9! Yes, it's true and I'm hardly able to do anything anymore.

Should I spring for the extra $300 and get the 2mg ram 20 inch model and a little more hard drive space and a little more speed or should (if I find out later) I just upgrade the ram myself if need be if I get the lower end 20 inch model.

I don't plan at all on doing any video editing or photos or whatever. Mostly internet, email, playing dvds and screwing around some with audio stuff.

Thanks!

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I only have the budget to buy one of the two 20 inch iMacs. I'd prefer the $1199 offering with the 1mg of ram. I don't open alot of applications. I'm currently on a 7 year old G4 (667 mhz) with OS9! Yes, it's true and I'm hardly able to do anything anymore.

Should I spring for the extra $300 and get the 2mg ram 20 inch model and a little more hard drive space and a little more speed or should (if I find out later) I just upgrade the ram myself if need be if I get the lower end 20 inch model.

I don't plan at all on doing any video editing or photos or whatever. Mostly internet, email, playing dvds and screwing around some with audio stuff.

Thanks!

Get the lower model with 1GB RAM, spend $50 or $100 on a bigger HD and buy another 1GB from a third party vendor. I think you'll be just as happy with that and you'll save a few bucks.

sfroom

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Maybe I'm just nostalgic for my old white iMac, but the refurb white 20" is exceptional value right now, at $949.

From what I've read on these forums, it has the same display as a 20" Apple Cinema Display, and will be a very solid upgrade from your old G4.

Alternatively, the refurbished 2.4 Ghz Aluminum iMac, at $1099 is much better value than the new 2.4 Ghz at $1199. The refurb has a more powerful video card, and benchmarks as being a faster computer overall. And with the $100 you can buy 4 GB of third party ram, and not have to worry about getting a new computer for quite some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.