Need 32 GB laptop - Suggestions? Laptops, min PCs, Mac mini?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maclamb, Apr 4, 2013.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I typically have to run multiple VMs with Database servers, App servers, etc and am getting maxed on my 16GB MBP. I tried Lenovo W520 but the trackpad is too small. Same with a Dull.
    I would consider taking a second, smaller pc on the road with me when I travel and connecting to that, if it was small and light enough.
    Of COurse I'd prefer to stay with a MBP - but there are no 16 GB chips for laptops that I can find.

I though about bringing a mac mini.

I am open to suggestions.

(and yes, I have a server at home that I opened up via dynDNS that I can access - but that can be pretty slow and sometimes no internet, or behind a firewall)

2. sniffs macrumors regular

sniffs

Take those local VM's and plop them onto a server with hyperV and just use RDP. :)

3. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

How will this handle this issue:
    I have a server at home that I opened up via dynDNS that I can access - but that can be pretty slow and sometimes no internet, or behind a firewall.:confused:

This server is running multple VMs and I use RDP and VNC to remote connect - but there are times I can't reach it when I travel. So looking for a solution I can use on airplanes, etc when 'net is not available.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Use two 16GB MacPros... and divide the VMs between them :) The rMBPs are so thin an light... it just may work for you. Two 13s may even fit side by side on the seat tray table.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

well since you can't find 16GB DIMMs, then buy a 2nd laptop and get 16GB RAM for it lol.

6. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

while I initially thought a second MBP was out of the question:eek:
    ...i am starting to think about it. :cool:

7. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

laugh if you will, but a second laptop is not a bad option.
    A Mac is not a good idea due to cost and the fact I "lose' some base memory running the vm (the software i need to run does not run native on a mac, hence the VM).

But a lenovo X230 (which I can get a a steep discount through work) is small and light and supports 16GB. The poor screen and keyboard are basically irrlevant.

thanks for the suggestions, even if intended as a partial-joke. this may solve my problem :)

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Glad I could help. I fear we wont see 16GB SO-DIMMs for awhile longer.

9. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Although the Lenovo W510 wasn't that great when it first came out (speaker issues, thermal paste issues, etc.) I have to admit that they've come a long way in the almost 3 years since then.

The W530 (and it's soon-to-be-released successor) is a nice machine for running VMs ... if you don't mind carrying around ~10lbs of combined weight in laptop and power supply, which you apparently don't since you're entertaining the thought of carrying around 2 MBP's/laptops :) It supports 32GB RAM, mSATA, and although not Retina display, does have a hi-res anti-glare display option.

10. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

Thanks for the suggestion. I *did* have a W530 and sold it due to trackpad, weight and feel. Overall not a bad machine and did have 32GB and replaceable HD, - but I found I kept going back to my MBP and eventually sold the w530. And the HUGE power brick was obscene (IMHO).

With the MBP and X230 and power supplies I'll be just under 10lbs ;-)
    Not great, but doable. @ MBPs + adapters would be over 12 lbs, so I'll be ahead :D

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

12. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Yeah, that power brick is crazy big. I hate it. I'm stuck with my W510 for work, but can't wait until I'm due for a refresh. (2 months to go till warranty expires!) I'm ok with 16GB of RAM, so I'm hoping to convince them to go with something a bit smaller for the next one they get. With that said, the co-workers that have the W530 like it, but they all agree ... it's BIG (some went out and got wheeled laptop cases, but those are mostly the ones that like to practically carry around a veritable toolbox-worth of screwdrivers, notebooks, cables, adapters, etc with them ... even more than what I carry around, which is a lot imho!) But, if you need the RAM, your options will be limited.

13. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

i thought about a cMBP - on ebay that is not a bad option.
    But given I still have to run VMs on it I think the current 16GB MPB + x230 is the best option.

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Although my needs are different to yours, equally I am almost running parallel, previously for my own work I used a pair of 15" MBP`s and a corporate Dell in the background. These days I have freed myself of the Dell and the corporation for that matter :) Weapons of choice are now 15" Retina and a ThinkPad T430u, which so far is working out very well.

I am very impressed with the T430u, built quality is excellent and is powerful enough for the tasks at hand, display fine for what it is and like you I can live with it. I also looked at the X230, however I wanted a larger physically display and the T430u`s 14'" appeals. Size or more to the point thickness was also a consideration with the T430u being uniform and a little thinner than the X230.

15. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look at it.

16. robvas macrumors 68020

Buy a mouse?

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

T430U is well worth a look, as long as you don't need a "heavy lifter" as the CPU is ULV which makes it a great system for working late at night and wanting peace and quiet. An interesting option is the T430u can be spec`d with a Nvidia GT620M (1Gb) which is unusual for it`s class. this to me is a big plus, even in far more powerful systems the Intel GPU`s can baulk at times so having a discrete GPU in such a modest form factor is definitely a bonus. I picked mine up off the shelf locally, it`s a 2012 machine and was heavily discounted: I5, 4GB, 24GB Micro SSD with ExpressCache, 500GB HDD, Intel HD Graphics 4000 & Nvidia® GeForce® GT 620M (1Gb). I will up the RAM to 8Gb and may move to a primary SSD, although at present the 24GB Micro SSD & 7200 rpm drive are reasonably fast.

Here`s a pretty good comparative review compared to other ThinkPad`s, admittedly the author is a self proclaimed Lenovo evangelist, equally he does go into a lot of detail: ThinkPad T430u in depth review