Need 4 drive enclosure for RAID 10

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dr Strangelove, May 9, 2011.

1. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

I have been searching high and low for a nice enclosure to pair with my new iMac just purchased. The only thing that seems to strike me is the OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/RAID/Desktop/

Is there anything else out there worth looking at? How far away are the Thunderbolt enclosures?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I would check out LaCie as well. They have already announced thunderbolt devices. I have a LaCie firewire drive and I'm very happy with it. I also have a LaCie NAS unit that I expect to be just as happy with (when I find the time to plug it in and copy my files over from the sorry old iomega).

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Thunderbolt enclosures should arrive within this quarter (i.e. in two months). Some 4-bay enclosures have already been announced so I would wait.

4. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I am not sure i can wait. Is it really going to be that much faster for me?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends what the external will be used but shortly, yes. FW800 can provide only 80MB/s in real world while two drives in RAID 0 can easily offer speeds of +250MB/s.

6. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Planning to use it for Final Cut Editing

7. mwhq macrumors member

G-Technology G-Speed es or es Pro. Used widely in editing suites and studios.

8. C00rDiNaT0r macrumors regular

C00rDiNaT0r

Sorry if this is a noob question.. If they can provide 80MB/s, then how come my WD My Book Studio II (2x1TB) hooked up to a early 2009 Mac Mini doesn't seem to read/write this fast? Am I missing something?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would wait for Thunderbolt then, more speed is always better. Shouldn't be more than a month left.

It can vary, depending on what exact drive you got. The kind of data is also important (compressed vs uncompressed). You can use AJA System Test to test what your drive can really provide.

10. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, I think I will see if I can hold out till June/July

11. C00rDiNaT0r macrumors regular

C00rDiNaT0r

I think they put those "green" drives into the enclosure, maybe that's somehow a bottleneck? I heard those drives spin at a lower speed (something like 5400rpm?) so they're slower.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Even they should offer speed close to 80MB/s unless they are a few years old. If they are in RAID 0, then the speeds should definitely be around 80MB/s unless there are other bottlenecks (the FW800 controller in the enclosure for instance).