Need a 4-bay enclosure for RAID10 with usb3/esataIII ports

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Solomon N., Jan 9, 2014.

1. Solomon N., Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

Solomon N. macrumors newbie

(*edit* title is wrong, I don't need the e-sata III feature, I'll be just fine with e-sata II)

Hello guys, hope you have some suggestions, since I'm having hard time finding the right solution.

I need some help regarding the choice of a 4-bay external enclosure, with the following requisites:
    • available in Europe (but you're welcome with any suggestion)
    • Cost: 200-300 EU
    • Not pre-filled with hdds and up to 16TB of maximum storage (but 12TB is also fine)
    • Raid capable (I'll be using a raid 10 setup for maximum speed and security)
    • Reliable, as it will be used as 24/7 backup solution
    • Must have USB3 and e-sata ports as I'm working mainly with big files (videos, raw images and psds). So NAS are to be avoided because they feature slow gigabit connections (and they cost more)
    • Must use well its ports to take full advantage of my raid 10 velocity (it seems that some boxes out there are somehow capped at 200MB/s)
    • Would be nice if it could work also as HUB, so that I'd be able to connect an external usb3 hdd to it.
    (Side note: i'll be filling it with 4 WD REDs 3TB )

My original choice was the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2, that is sold in Europe by this online shop, but I'm a little bit concerned about the reliability of the shop.

How about the Teratrend TowerStor TS432U? Do you have any experince with products from Teratrend?

(ps. I'm sorry to have originally posted it in the wrong section)

2. d8b macrumors newbie

I can't help you with a recommendation (I know next to nothing about RAIDs).

However, I have used that shop to order a SSD mounting for my mac Pro. I don't recall the details, but the whole transaction and delivery went smooth and faster than expected.

regards,

Philippe