Need a AppDeleter/Uninstaller Application!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iMacBoy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

Ive had my mac a day now and i have been playing with various MSN applications for mac such as, Adium, Mac Messenger and aMSN.

I decided that i like Adium most and only want to keep that, however i delete aMSN and Mac messenger by,

Right Clicking on aMSN/Mac Messenger in the applications folder > Show package contents > Delete all inside > Then delete the icon itself then empty trash.

But i dont know Whether it has left and files lying around on my computer.

Is there any FREE application to scan my computer for these files?

OR

Will that have got rid of them anyway?

Thanks Alot!
    :apple:

2. digitaldave macrumors regular

digitaldave

By far the simplest way to delete an app is to just drag the app icon into the trash (or right click, move to trash). No need to bother looking in to the package contents :). As for stuff left over, to be honest I wouldn't worry too much - Mac applications don't install loads of files all over the place, the only things they usually install are small things like preference files that can be ignored. Of course there may be exceptions to the rule, but generally Mac apps will behave quite well when installing.

3. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well when i do a search there is nothing that comes up to do with the programs so i think that is fine.

Thanks

4. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I agree that apps behave quite well on OSX, but I use AppCleaner to delete all my apps. Works quite well, and shows you what you're deleting before you pull the trigger.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I use an application called appzapper. It costs a small amount of money, but it finds everything to do with the application that you are uninstalling. It especially good at Microsoft products, which tend to install stuff all over the place.

6. makinao macrumors regular

I agree with AppCleaner. Its freeware. I used to use AppDelete when it was still freeware, but it didnt tell me what files were being removed. When I checked the trashbin, there were some document files included. But with AppCleaner, it shows you the files before deleting.

7. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It also hasn't been updated in years and has the exact same functionality (or less) as AppCleaner, AppDelete, or any other of the free alternatives available. Why people still pay for AppZapper is a big mystery to me.

9. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

+1 for AppCleaner. It has a built-in uninstaller helper which displays any associated files when you trash an application. All you have to do is drag the .app to the trash and it does the rest for you. And the best part is it's free :p