All iPads Need a Battery Pack Strong Enough for both an Iphone 5 and Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pinkstiletto66, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502a

Was originally looking for an iphone 5 battery pack to extend battery (hence one of my older threads.) Then was reading through some reviews that the packs for the iphone 5 might not charge an ipad fully.

I have a mini so I believe it's the same battery size, and will charge my mini fully. I do intend on getting a new ipad cellular version in the future, and I am not sure if I will get the ipad 5 or a new mini.

So in short instead of buying a new pack in the future I want a pack strong enough to charge a full size ipad 100 percent, or close to. I'm on a budget and don't want to spend more than $60. I plan on buying it from Amazon. When I search ipad battery pack, it pretty much just shows me iphone battery packs.

I've seen many with great reviews from cheap to expensive and hate doing eenie meenie when it comes to something like this, so if anyone can help by telling me what size (MH) battery would give me what battery life? I'm assuming the higher the number the better but the description doesn't always say how long my battery will last. I intend on charging both the ipad, and iphone, and perhaps an additional device. Thanks in advance.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Attached Files:

3. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks I ended up settling for something on Amazon after some extensive searching.

4. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

The iPad 3 and 4 have big 42.5Ah batteries (42.5Ah = 42,500mAh) so a 6,000mAh battery charger will barely charge an iPad 16%. When the vendors say it will charge an iPad they mean it has a 2.1A output. It is difficult to find a portable battery charger that can fully charge an iPad 3 or 4, certainly without being big and bulky.
    Hopefully the iPad 5 will have a smaller capacity battery, or a much longer battery life.

5. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The ipad 3 and 4's battery is actually 11666 mah.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I stand corrected - thank you. I was thinking mAh but it's 43Wh...

So more like a 50% charge with the battery charger mentioned earlier.

8. vmaniqui, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  9. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

With thes specs of these batteries are often quoted on the capacity of the battery itself at 3.7v. What's not told is the battery charging circuit needs 5v to charge an iPad.

Long story short, assume about 65-70% charging efficiency when considering which to buy. Eg a 12000mah unit will probably get you about 8000-8500mah for your devices. For an iPhone that's plenty, iPad 2 is sufficient, but iPad 3/4 it won't be enough.

10. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought a 12000 mah, and I read that part about only getting that amount. Ehh.. Oh well, I will make due for now. It should charge my mini well. How much Mah do I need for a Mac?