Need a bit of help with Bonjour

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johnh57, Aug 17, 2015.

1. johnh57 macrumors regular

Trying to print from a Virtual Machine. Printer is a Xerox 6280DN color laser. Works fine on the MBP 10.10.5. It worked fine on Windows 7 - though I think I had windows 7 on the VM set up incorrectly. Basically I was printing via the network rather than shared printing through the VM. I think.

Now - trying to set up windows 10 on the VM. The 'preferred, according to Parallels' way to do it involves using the mac default printer via bonjour. I installed Bonjour on the VM & set up sharing permission on the Mac system preferences.

Open up bonjour - and attempt to install the printer. no drivers found. Support for this printer died with XP I think. Bonjour's list of printers is pretty thin and the list of xerox printers is really thin.

I can go to the Xerox website and install 6280dn drivers (PCL6) on windows 10. But the printer isn't local and it isn't networked (?) since its shared through the mac. I did install it as a networked printer and downloaded the drivers to windows 10 - but bonjour can't find the drivers for it.

I can go to the Xerox website and install postscript drivers for os/x 10.10.5 for the 6280 class machines.

Bonjour doesn't know what a 6280dn is.

I'm confused.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

You might get a better response and solution posting this on the parallels forum: https://forum.parallels.com

3. johnh57, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015

johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

The parallels forum got me to the point of understanding shared networks and that I need to use bonjour to print. There were 2 helpful knowledge base articles - one explained different ways to deal with networks and virtual machines, the second was how to print from a VM - i.e. use Bonjour.

Bonjour is an apple product though, not a parallels product.

I'd forgotten about the apple support communities - I put a query there about using bonjour.

Think I got it, at least something is printing.

4. johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

Got it, I think. I had an omission in the setup of the VM that seems to have caused the problem. Network is up, printing is up. No bonjour needed.