iPhone 6(S)(+) Need a bit of help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by forza69, Mar 20, 2018.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I have a friend who has a broken iPhone and she’s looking to replace it. She’s been looking on offerup and found a 6 Plus she’s interested in. She asked me a couple of things and while I’m pretty sure I’m right, I’m not 100% sure. So, my question is, my friends current provider is Verizon. The phone she found on offerup is from sprint and it is not unlocked. Will she have an issue activating her SIM on the new phone? If she buys it, can she unlock it herself or does the person selling it have to unlock it first? Any help is appreciated.

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

She WILL have an issue unlocking it.

Sprint will want her to activate it on their network for 50 days before they will unlock for her. It doesn't matter to them if it was previously paid off. At the very least they will require that she have an account with Sprint and in order to have an account with Sprint you have to have a Sprint issued phone number.

Third party unlock services are iffy. Not because of scams or anything, but Sprint has been cracking down on unauthorized unlocks. So it will be difficult to get one at best. And expensive.

If you can get the person selling it to unlock it AND they are the original Sprint customer who used the phone that would be best. But without that you are going to have a very difficult time.

She probably found a very good deal on this Sprint iPhone, right?

All the issues I just explained to you are why.

3. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

Wow man thank you so much for your reply that helps a lot. She found that 6 Plus in supposed mint condition for $300. I’ll let her know to ask if they can unlock it. If they say no then I’ll just let my friend know to move onto another one. Again, thank you for your help!

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

No problem!

Sprint phones are notoriously difficult to unlock. Lately they've been giving non-customers the runaround and they have stopped allowing international unlocks on unpaid phones.

Just best to avoid buying a locked one unless you are a Sprint customer or are willing to put up with the hassle of trying to get it unlocked.