Need a book suggestion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chris1016, Jan 31, 2010.

1. chris1016 macrumors member

Hey everyone,

At my school we've been given a research paper on two books from British Empire literature. The requirements are that the author of the book must have originally written it in English, that he is from Britain or a former British colony (except the United States), and that the book was first written after the English Renaissance.

I would like to do a satire, but I'm having trouble finding one. Otherwise, I enjoy mysteries, coming of age stories, inspirational stories, and humorous stories in general. Ideally these would be more modern books (late 19th century-2008), but I'm open to any time period. The English department at my school frowns upon George Orwell (who would be my first choice), JRR Tolkein, CS Lewis, and JK Rowling (since students have plagarized papers about these authors before).

Anyway, if anyone has any good book suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

News from Nowhere:William Morris
    The Making of the English Working Class: E P Thompson

Neither humourous but books you could really get your teeth into.

4. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

Terry Pratchett deserves consideration. So does Neil Gaiman. Both are great English novelists.

5. johnmadden78 macrumors member

I second the idea of some Douglas Adams, but if you want something a little less bizarre, and seeing as you said you like coming-of-age stories, I'd suggest 'Finnie Walsh' by Steven Galloway. Written in 2000 by a Canadian author - fits the bill, I'd say. :)

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

How about some Jasper Fforde? I Enjoyed his books very much.

7. thesmall macrumors member

8. chown33 macrumors 604

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

"David Copperfield", by Charles Dickens can be a bit slow at times. It is definitely worth reading though.

"The Picture of Dorian Grey", by Oscar Wilde is quite interesting. Though it may be a bit short of a read. Depending on how long you expect a novel to be. What is interesting is that you forget it was written in the 1800's except when something period specific is mentioned.

10. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

P.G. Wodehouse is commonly referred to as the best humorist of all time. Even Douglas Adams called him that. His books are hilarious. My favourite series of his was the one with Jeeves & Wooster. The best of that series is probably Aunts Aren't Gentlemen. It is one of the funniest books I have ever read.

Also as another poster said Douglas Adams is very good and terrifically funny. I also adore the Lord Peter Whimsy books as they aren't just funny they combine a lot of mystery in there as well.

Good luck with your paper!
    King Mook Mook

11. Buzz Bumble Guest

I don't know how available these are in America and some might be a bit young, but ...
    • The Hal Spacejock series by Australian author Simon Haynes. (Sort of like a "lite" version of Hitchhicker's Guide or Red Dwarf.)
    • The Welkin Weasel Trilogies by British author Garry D. Kilworth which has humanised-animal (i.e. they wear clothes, use weapons, etc.) parodies of Robin Hood and Sherlock Holmes.
    • The Redwall series of books by British author Brian Jacques. Humanised-animals in sword swinging adventures.
    • Watership Down and the sequel book by British author Richard Adams. Talking animals, but not humanised.
    • The Duncton Wood series by British author William Horwood. Similar to Watership Down, but with moles instead of rabbits, crossed with Lord of the Rings.