Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahammiranda13work

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2021
I have returned 4 4K Monitors and because I could not find the perfect setup for my MacBook M1 Pro and MacMini M1 Pro. Some had only 30Hz, some had color problems (showing grey in black spots), one showed 1440p even though it was a 4k monitor.

I have two new Macs: MacBook M1 (16GB) and MacMini M1 (8GB)

I have brought a 55inch LG NanoCell IPS TV to use it as a monitor for my Mac M1s (it has HDMI and no display port or USB-C port) -- will arrive in 3 days.

My question is: What is the best Cable to use to Do a USB-C to HDMI setup? VERY IMPORTANT IS 60Hz and 4k as minimum. I ask cable because I think it is the best solution but i can be wrong

Example:
61MRV4icX+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have seen end number of cables on Amazon Germany (right now I got Anker on my mind) but dont want to keep buying without asking people on here what they think is the best setup.

I have even tried a USB-C Adapter from Anker, Satachi and Green(something) and all had problems: No 60Hz on 4k, heated up and one did not work at all.

kodabear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
I'm really not sure what you want to do is going to work. If your LG 55" TV had a Thunderbolt 3 port it would just using a Thunderbolt cable. The reason I say that is on a previous system, I had a J5Create USB-C to HDMI cable that supports 60hz at 4K that I used on a external Dell monitor hooked up to a 2017 iMac 4K and it worked great. I tried using the same cable on my current system, a MPB Pro 13" 2020 model (Not M1) hooked up to a LG 4K monitor using the USB-C to a eGPU with HDMI port and I get nothing but a black screen. The eGPU is connected to my MBP via TB3. It works only by running a TB 3 cable from the eGPU to the LG 4K display. I'm guessing it doesn't work because there is just no support for TB and HDMI working together.
I really only wanted to see if the USB-C to HDMI cable would work because otherwise I have no use for it. The best connection is TB 3 to TB 3 anyway. The LG 4K monitor I have is the one sold at the Apple store and only supports Thunderbolt and USB-C connections.

grahammiranda13work

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2021
I'm really not sure what you want to do is going to work. If your LG 55" TV had a Thunderbolt 3 port it would just using a Thunderbolt cable. The reason I say that is on a previous system, I had a J5Create USB-C to HDMI cable that supports 60hz at 4K that I used on a external Dell monitor hooked up to a 2017 iMac 4K and it worked great. I tried using the same cable on my current system, a MPB Pro 13" 2020 model (Not M1) hooked up to a LG 4K monitor using the USB-C to a eGPU with HDMI port and I get nothing but a black screen. The eGPU is connected to my MBP via TB3. It works only by running a TB 3 cable from the eGPU to the LG 4K display. I'm guessing it doesn't work because there is just no support for TB and HDMI working together.
I really only wanted to see if the USB-C to HDMI cable would work because otherwise I have no use for it. The best connection is TB 3 to TB 3 anyway. The LG 4K monitor I have is the one sold at the Apple store and only supports Thunderbolt and USB-C connections.
'The best connection is TB 3 to TB 3 anyway.' I know lol but I dont have that port :(

'I'm really not sure what you want to do is going to work' I know HDMI to my TV will work 100% I did it on my 75inch TV at home (LG) BUT WITH ONLY 30Hz with a Satachi USB Adapter (https://satechi.net/products/type-c-multi-port-adapter-with-ethernet-v2?variant=45020091145) which is really annoying 30Hz on 75inch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.