Need a camera to shoot documentary

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by drainyoo, Sep 18, 2008.

1. drainyoo macrumors newbie

Howdy. I'm planning on shooting a short documentary and I'm doing research on which camera to purchase for the job. At first I was going to use my Sony HDR-SR5 but I soon learned that the camera doesn't have a mic jack so I wouldn't be able to get any good audio into it. I'm also not so sure about the AVCHD format. Backing up is a pain.

So, I know I definitely want to shoot in HD and it needs to have a mic jack. I also need the camera to allow me some manual control over the video and audio. In terms of budget, I would say $2000 is my max but I'm also open to any options in the $1000 area if there are any. I'm not looking for high-end pro results but I do want the quality of the video to be good. One of the cameras I was looking at is the Sony HVR-A1U but I need to research this one a little more.

Any recommendations or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Dvx

I searched around the internet for you, and I suspected you wanted a camera with xlr (connector for most common microphones). And I searched on cheap (as you wanted something affordable), I endend with DVX. I searched around and founded that they meant DVX camcorders from Panasonic (excuse mr if that's grammatical not correct, but I'm dutch you know). It is second hand, but it's still good, I believe. Check the link: http://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-AG-DVX100-Professional-MiniDV-Camcorder/dp/B000075AEV

But good luck. And try searching through a search engine.

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The OP did specify they wanted a HD Camcorder

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

5. drainyoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks anyway. As for XLR on the camera, don't need it since I can just use a Beachtek. As long as it has a mic input.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'd get an HV20/30 and use the rest of the money for a decent mic, lights, etc.,.

Lethal

7. drainyoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Wolfe, those Canon's do seem to be very nice. The 24p cinema mode is very intriguing. So in your opinion the HDV format is better?

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

What makes the camera better than most AVCHD cameras is that it records MiniDV tapes. This way, you have a master tape after you're done recording. AVCHD media usually either has to be stored on a hard drive or backed up to optical media (not quite as practical money-wise).

AVCHD media also has to be transcoded to AIC or ProRes before you can edit it on popular Apple NLEs (iMovie, FCE, FCP). Final Cut Pro actually supports native HDV editing as well.

9. ShakeWellProd macrumors member

great

I've shot a lot with the Sony A1U and the audio/video quality is great. The focus is very slow so if you are trying to catch things quickly in Auto Mode you may miss your shot. The audio comes with two XLR jacks.

Great camera and highly recommend it for your gig.

Where will the documentary be seen?

I'm in the middle of one right now on the birth of my first son.