Need a cheap P&S...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by slick316, Aug 15, 2008.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

Looking for a cheap point and shoot to keep in my car/pocket when I don't want to tote my DSLR around.

I had an old Canon (SD200) and it had been stolen by my parents; I let them have it.

Haven't kept up with P&S cameras so I have no idea what I can get. Looking for something under $200, that takes SD cards, and video recording would be nice.

I don't care about brand or anything, small and cheap, thats the main thing.

2. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

3. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

I haven't looked at P&S cameras for a long time either, but for $200 I've heard a ton of good things about the Canon SD1100.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I love the Canon P&S line...they're great little cameras for the money. Hard to go wrong by picking any Canon in your price range.

5. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats the one I was looking at, the SD1100. So much has changed since that SD200 that I had, and the prices have changed also, so nice to be able to get something very nice for under $200.

I'm going to check out the SD1100 today, I think it will suit me just fine.

Thanks for the help.

6. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Man, I've had my Canon S410 for 3-4 years now. That camera, is not only invincible, but it still impresses people. It's 4 megapixels, it uses CF cards (which I prefer) and at ISO 50 I can print BEAUTIFUL 8x10s.

7. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

I heard that Canon people are doing firmware upgrades to their cameras to give them new features, any truth to that?

I saw the SD1100, and liked it a lot, but didn't get it because I remembered the question above and didn't want to buy one until I found out which models can do the upgrade (and if it was true or not).

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I have a Casio Exilim that works pretty well, very small and takes decent shots.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're in luck, because the market has been flooded with plenty of cheap-ass p&s cameras with identical features, sensors, and gimmicks! :)