Need a cleanup program for removed applications

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neccoloup, May 10, 2010.

1. neccoloup macrumors member

I need a program that deletes configuration files and traces of programs not currently installed. After years of different macs and backups I probably have traces of a lot of junk and don't wish to go through every little folder and delete them manually. Is there a program that scans what you have in your applications folder or otherwise and detects what you have installed, what's not and deletes the orphaned configs and application support files?

2. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm curious why you care? Unless disk space is an issue, they don't do anything other than take disk space.

4. neccoloup thread starter macrumors member

Uh, yeah, disk space of course.

AppZapper and Appcleaner are for deleting stuff already there.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There are no apps for deleting stuff that is already gone. It's a manual process.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I just cleanup manually from time to time for tidiness but the disk space gain has always been negligible.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Like yellow said, it's manual. All you're going to do is delete .plist files for the most part, which take up very little space.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

As long as there have been filesystems and apps stored within, there has—and always will be—bits of data detritus floating about. Your drives (once occupied with the toys and tools one ultimately grows weary of) will forever be a bit dirty, like your bedroom.

9. Sir Lorad macrumors member

Just a thought:

What if we reinstall an app previously removed and then re-uninstall it using appCleaner. Would the "old garbage files" be removed together with the "new garbage files"?

Crazy idea hu?:D

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Neither AppZapper nor AppCleaner will remove all components of apps. They mostly only delete the .app file and the .plist files. They do not remove any components in the Library folders.

There is no automated method of removing all application components, unless an app has its own uninstall app. Even then, it might not remove everything. If you want it done right, it's a manual process.

11. yk2366 macrumors member

which files would i be deleting manually other than .app file and the .plist files when removing an application?

Also, I just typed up .plist file from the search box, and gave me a list of all the .plist files currently on file. Are these okay to delete (even though I'm not removing them)? Thank you

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You absolutely don't want to delete all of your .plist files. You would lose all of your preferences for virtually every application on your computer. This is not something you want to do indiscriminately!

What you want to do is delete the ones for applications you no longer have on your system (and that only if you're paranoid/fastidious). It's not really necessary, but you'll gain back a few bytes.

jW

13. yk2366 macrumors member

Thank you! Almost deleted them without knowing.

Does anyone know any other files that I should delete manually when removing an application? I'd like to get rid of every trace of an app.

14. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

This MacWorld article will answer your questions and explain why there is no easy solution that gets rid of every piece.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Each application is different, which is why automated removal apps are less than 100% effective. Some apps put files in the /Library folder, some in the /Users/yourusername/Library folder, some in other locations.
    As already stated, you don't want to delete all .plist files. Here's a good rule to follow: if you don't know for sure what a file or folder is used for, don't delete it! If you delete things without knowing what you're doing, you could hose your system.

16. BurningJah macrumors regular

17. yk2366 macrumors member

18. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

19. Xavier macrumors 68020

AppTrap.

Its a pref pane that moves the associated files with an application to the trash when the application is moved to the trash

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Like AppCleaner and AppZapper, it only removes the .app and the .plist files. It won't remove anything installed in the Library folders.

21. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

The most thorough way is to just use the free and excellent EasyFind.

Be sure to have "Include invisible files and folders" checked, and "Scan all files" checked. And have the Operator set at "All words"

Then I just search for the app's name and the software company's name. Then delete away!

22. juliainor macrumors member

Hazel does a pretty darn good job of cleaning up the random bits scattered about your system after you drag an app into the trash. It's not perfect, but it's as good as most one-trick-pony uninstaller apps, and Hazel can do a lot more (completely awesome automation) things.

It's one of my favorite apps (well, technically, it's a preference pane, but whatever).

23. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

There is also CleanApp from Synium. AFAIK, there is an option to delete 'orphan' files..