Need a Color Laser Networked 11x17 (or larger) output printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davemccall, Mar 29, 2010.

1. davemccall macrumors newbie

I work in an IT department in a small college. We recently took over supporting the art department's Mac lab, so I'm kind of new to this (though enjoying it so far). I need a color laser printer that is networked (printing from 24" Intel iMacs running Leopard and Aluminum Macbooks running Leopard and Snow Leopard).

It needs to do good work at printing graphics since it will be used primarily by Graphic Design students. It also needs to output at least 11x17. I've run into driver issues and learned enough to not just assume a particular printer will have good network drivers for Macs (we've had issues with our Konica Minolta BizHub).

So... Any advice from experienced users in similar applications? Which brands seem to offer consistently good driver support for Macs that also have good, large output?

Budget is somewhat open-ended at the moment, but I'm guessing we'll be able to spend around $8k.

Thanks!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

As you've already learned, finding mac driver for printers can be a bugger sometimes. Even manufacturers that have a lot of support for macs kick out devices without mac support, so be sure to check each and every item you order for compatibility.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I have had a Xerox 7300DN for many many years, no problems with drivers at all.

You really are limited at that size, not very many manufacturers.

Not sure why you had a problem with your bizhub, I have run my Macbook though one just fine on several occasions. (think it was a PRO 55?)

Xerox 7500 or 7760 (7760 is due for an update) are both fine and fast -- although the 7750 is more "graphics" oriented. Never a problem with the graphics with the 7300 in my design studio...

Of course, I probably dont need to tell you that the printer cost is going to be only a small part of the costs -- a full set of toners will run you $1000+, not including imagining units, fuser, etc... -- if it gets a lot of use figure 10-14% coverage = 5,000 prints per hi-capacity toner. You could be looking at multi-thousands of dollars in toner...