need a command line guru for help editing syslogd starup parameters

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mortimer, Jun 18, 2010.

1. mortimer macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2007
    I'm dumb and late last night decided to follow the directions in this article:

Using Lingon, I modified the startup parameters of "syslog" from "/usr/sbin/syslogd" to "/usr/sbin/syslogd -c 3 a". Of course by fiddling around with things I shouldnt have, my computer wont boot past the gray apple screen or past "waiting for dsmos" in verbose mode. I would backup from Time Machine, but my most recent backup doesnt have several important large work files that wouldnt fit in my Dropbox. I realize it was stupid to mess around with this without backing up, but feel free to flog away!

I've run diskutil, verified/repaired, run fsck -fy from single user mode, reset pram, wont boot to safe mode, etc.

My question: is it possible to edit the startup parameters of "syslog" from the command line in single user mode? If so, how? AND Is it possible to reinstall OS X system files from the boot disc without erasing my entire disk?

Thanks for any help/insight you can provide.

EDIT: mpb intel core2duo OSX 10.6.whatever-the-lastest-is
  2. Ganesha macrumors regular

Aug 4, 2009
  3. mortimer thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2007
    Figured out a work around.

1) Install OS X on USB key
    2) Boot from USB
    3) Use Finder to open /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ with TextEdit
    4) Delete extra parameters from the <string> value
    5) Reboot using internal HD and presto-chango it works!​

I'll leave this here for google searches by other people having "D'oh!" moments.

4. mortimer thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2007
    Just saw this after posting my reply -- thanks Ganesha, this is a much simpler way than what I eventually did. For anyone interested, I gave Ganesha's method a try from Terminal in OS X and it works just fine.