Need a Compatible Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by djf1, Jan 29, 2012.

1. djf1 macrumors newbie

New to MacRumors...1st post. We operate 3 Macbooks and a Mac Mini and have had nothing but dissatisfaction with our HP C309 printer. Ink consumption and cost is worst I have every experienced. We do very light duty printing for business and average graphics on student projects. I must buy a new printer and am trying to sort through the conflicting reviews. Any opinions on printers with Mac would be greatly appreciated.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What are you looking for? You say say that you want a compatible printer. Well, each model HP Photosmart Premium All-in-One - c309 is compatible. Compatibility alone doesn't do it for you. You say that you want a printer that will do very light duty printing for business and average graphics on student projects. Well, virtually every printer that prints on paper will do this. Doesn't narrow the field much. Nobody wants you to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. So, what problems does your current printer have that you are trying to avoid in your next printer? How much are you willing to pay to avoid these problems? What is your price limit?

3. djf1 thread starter macrumors newbie

More detail would help, wouldn't it? I used the term "compatible" to hopefully eliminate printers which may be geared more towards PC. I have read some may require extra steps or hardwire connections to work properly with Mac.

The main issue would have to be the ink consumption and management. The HP C309 ink cartridges have to be replaced after only printing 8-10 pages containing clip-art or lite graphics...not high res photos. I have tried to find a way to manage ink output but cannot find any such option.

Secondary is reliability. Half the time the scanning function just plain doesn't work.

Initial cost isn't a real issue if it means reliability and I am not dropping $60 per month on ink.

I know HP is a main player in printers but, this is our 3rd HP C309 replacement as the first 2 died within 30-60 days of purchase. Perhaps I have a third lemon... I would prefer to try other brands.

4. Macman45, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Ive just bought an EpsonSX 535WD which in terms of "Compatibility" uses AirPrint, so it's cabless apart from power. It may be more than you need in terms of print quality though....I can't yet give an estimation on ink consumption, but it has separate cartridges for colour and black , so I'm thinking it has got to be better than your budget HP. Changing only the colours you need saves money....A full re-fill pack can be had in the UK for around £11.00 and thats all four cartridges.

5. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Might try Kodak printers. I think my next one will be a Kodak.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Kodak is bankrupt.

7. Jayrcee macrumors regular

Jayrcee

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I'm using Canon Pixma MP640 that's great aside from the ink consumption. I use a lot and to cut the cost I've signed up with a lot of Office stores like Staples and Office Max. Their recycling program helps cut cost. Normally my ink cost $60. I spend between $30-40 for ink with my reward points and store coupons.

Recently I found the Canon Pixma MG5320 which has AirPrint for Apple devices. They also have a model higher that uses ethernet, MG6220. Same quality as my MP640 but with Airprint features.

Set up is real easy. Just plug in with USB chord and OSX finds the driver. Wi-fi is even sweet. Print quality is great. You have a lot of options to chose when printing which is great for designers..

9. djf1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would like to say thanks to everyone else for their civil replies and advice! I appreciate it. djf