Need a compatible SSD for a 2008 Aluminum MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fig, Mar 20, 2014.

1. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I attempted to install a Samsung 840 in my late 2008 Aluminum MacBook earlier this evening only to have it not recognize the drive, and after some research it looks like the drive actually isn't compatible because of the MacBook's SATA speed relative to the 840 (1.5gb to 6gb).

From browsing some other threads it looks like a Crucial M500 would be compatible, any other suggestions? I can get an Intel 530 locally if that would that work?

Thanks.

2. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Get the cheapest one that will work. It will be bottlenecked by the SATA speed anyway.

OWC have designated drives for 3G (that work with 1.5G) if you want to 100% sure of it working.

3. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

That's my plan, was just hoping to hear from someone who's successfully done the upgrade and knows exactly what will work.

I'll check out the OWC drives, but I've looked at them in the past and they tend to be a bit pricey compared to other options. Thanks.

4. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

I just picked up a SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB for my 2009 White Unibody. Cost me £50 and I've never been happier. I often rolled my eyes when I saw people say it was like getting a new machine but they weren't wrong.

5. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

Thanks, and it does make a massive difference. I put one in an old iMac and it extended the usability of that machine by at least 12 months.

6. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Yeah, they are. Its up to you to decide if the 24/7 support and long warranty is worth it for you.

7. randombite macrumors newbie

I second the Sandisk Ultra Plus option; have been using the 256GB one on my Al Macbook for the past few months with no issues.

8. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

Thanks guys. After initializing the drive I was actually able to get the Samsung 840 EVO installed, it's now working great.