Need a definitive answer about removing jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Rephunter, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Rephunter macrumors newbie

Ok guys here's my story, I recently jail broke my iPhone using redsnow, all seemed fine but I found I had blank white icons appearing on my springboard, and then a friend told me that they had not received some of my messages were not being recieved and I was also noticing that I was not receiving some messages, at first I thought it was just a problem with iMessage and I tried searching the net for solutions, I found people had reported certain apps interfering with iMessage, however I was unable to find my exact problem, I removed any apps mentioned to cause a problem but this did not work. I then decided to turn off iMessage to ensure messages were not lost. Then a day or two later the same thing happened again but this time it was normal SMS messages that were not being recieved or sent, clearly something was amiss! I decided to remove the jailbreak from my phone (both my friend and I were jail broken) I did a lot of reading on the net about the correct way to do this that would leave no traces of the jailbreak on my phone and not end up braking my phone either, in the end because of the jumble of differing information I decided to restore in iTunes as a new phone, assuming this would wipe the phone clean allowing me to start fresh, however and here's the real kicker after all that time spent researching I found that springboard and no doubt a few other processes are still running on my phone!!! How do I know this? Well I downloaded a free app from the app store which shows the processes.

So my question is this:
    Will this affect my phone? And how the hell can I restore my iPhone so that it has no trace of any jailbreak files or processes?? What is the answer someone must know what to do surely?

I only want confirmed fact please, do not reply with your opinion because I can get a million of those through google, thank you for taking the time to read my long winded post

For your info I have an iPhone 4 which was jail broken on firmware 5.01

Thanks again
    Steve

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Restoring in iTunes and setting up as new does in fact remove all traces of the jailbreak.

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Though this will revert your phone to its pre jail broken state, there are some applications now logging the UDID of jail broken phones and continuing to deny access to services for those phones even after they have been restored.

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Can you explain this some more please? Possibly give some examples and/or a link to read up on it.

5. labman, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

labman macrumors 604

labman

thewitt is a known Jailbreak hater likes to pop in here to stir things up. So yes lets see where he goes next with this I have restored several times after a jailbreak and never had a issue either with apps detecting my jailbreak or Apple.

6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Restoring in itunes and setting up as new phone will erase all traces of jailbreak.
    Using a backup from itunes does bring back some jailbreak traces, so start from scratch.

Btw springboard is a stock item.

iMessage is know to act up, also on stock phones, there are even some lawsuits over it. Non-delivery of sms could also be a carrier problem.

The white icons are usually cured by respring or fixing permissions in Sbsettings.

Except the white icons all i've read from your posting could happen on stock phones as well.

7. Kayan macrumors 6502

There are thousands of us who JB on this site alone, and it is a well known fact that restoring your iPhone as a new phone, no matter if its JB or not, will take it back to new, stock condition unless there are hardware defects, in which case, you should have Apple replace your phone anyway. Searching Google would have told you this had you spent the time researching it, but now your hearing it from credible sources that JB all the time. I've been JB for close to 2 years. Yes, I've run into a few problems while JBing or as a result of it, but the solution is now and has always been to just DFU/restore, and if you still want to JB, then do it again. Keep in mind, many SMS problems are carrier issues, not JB, seeing as when my wife first got her iPhone (not JB), she would receive 2 of every message sent to her. It was later fixed. Sometimes a little patience will fix your problems.

8. Rephunter thread starter macrumors newbie

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yeah I figured I'd be waiting a long time for the info I asked for :D

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you want a clean, trouble free jailbreak, restore your phone, choose set up as new, activate it with an original carrier sim then jailbreak it.
    Test it
    Do not restore to backup, install your stuff manually.
    Make sure to install Corona 10-8 and iWipeCache to keep the untethered reboots working and to stop the white icons

11. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Quick question, if you set up as new iPhone, what happens to your backup? You lose everything?

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you restore to backup, it defeats the purpose of a clean restore
    Backups are always saved in iTunes
    Just give the phone a different name when it pops up in iTunes when rebooting after the restore (won't overwrite your last backup)

13. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering. Can I just set up as new on a PC/Mac which has never been synced on and then just back it up on my usual PC/Mac afterwards?

14. PhazeII macrumors member

from all the jb's and all the messing around I done with the phone i noticed the JB does leave a few things here and there. No big deal but i have only really come back to its STOCK state when you use the "RESET and Erase all Content" option. Of course this is not recommended if your firmware is not currently being signed.

15. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Not very helpful advice! That will sent your phone into a boot loop and is something that you cant do on a jailbroken phone.

Like stated before by several people, restore in itunes and setup as new phone. Than NO trace is left from the jailbreak.

16. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

I did a restore last week on my 4S. I set it up as NEW and then I activated the phone accordingly. Then I installed all of my regular apps via the 'App Store' and finally I performed the steps to JB the device (followed by installing my Cydia Apps all over again).

I did NOT restore from a backup but I did notice that my CONTACTS were automatically restored back on my iPhone.

Is this normal....or did I do something wrong here?

17. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Depends how you set it up, in itunes under the info tab see if you have sync contacts checked, if so, yes that is normal behaviour.