Need a desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jetjaguar, May 4, 2015.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Tempted to buy either a 09 quad or 09 8 core and upgrade it to either 3.46 hex or 12 core. I need a desktop. Mainly for some gaming and possibly some editing (photo and video) some web design.

nMP is out of the question. I have had a 3.46 hex before .. wondering if i should go dual this time.

I would like to be able to use a 31.5" 4k displays as well.

Worth it to get cMP or should i just get an iMac.

I would need to upgrade the cMP with:

cpu or cpus
    ssd
    gpu
    bluetooth 4.0
    usb 3

2. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

You'll probably get better gaming performance by upgrading a cMP, although given the number of upgrades you'd want to do, you could find just getting a iMac the simpler option.

If you want to run demanding games at 4K or higher resolutions than the Mac Pro is really your only option. If you're fine with 1080p or 1440p gaming then the iMac will handle it fine.

3. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Yea I'm trying to think on what to do . the iMac i would want would be ike 3500 or something like that.
    Would you go dual or single cMP?

4. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

For games you won't get any more use of those extra cores, so a single CPU option will be fine.

5. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I'm still wondering if I should do it or not .. Are the 3.46 hex still decent .. I sold mine off awhile ago

6. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

I have no issues playing the games I'm running on the machine in my sig—things like Bioshock Infinite, StarCraft II, and Dota. Judging by tests off of Barefeats, the GPU makes much more of a difference still than the difference between CPUs of a newer Mac versus an old Mac Pro. How long that will be the case... hard to say. But I'd wager if you held onto your Mac Pro for three or four years, by the end it'd still be more serviceable than the iMac for games.

7. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

If you insist to get a Mac Pro for gaming, the 09 quad with proper upgrade should be the optimum choice.

8. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i can't deal with windows anymore. So it is either an iMac, Hackintosh (never made one before ) or cMP

----------

Ok so I have question about upgrades. CPUs aren't a problem.

What is currently the fastest ssd option for cMPs ? cost ?
    Besides MVP .. where can one get bluetooth 4.0 / wifi card ? it hasn't been in stock at MVP whenever I look.

What about 4k monitors ? With a 980 or titan gpu .. will the asus 31" 4k monitor work at 60hz or no ?? If not what other monitors will work ?

Also is it worth spending a tad bit more and doing a 12 core over a single cpu ?

9. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

So, you plan to play games under OSX? Or gaming (that's seems your main purpose) in Windows , and may be some editing work in OSX?

AFAIK, the fastest SSD is the Apple PCIe SSD, there is a new version on ebay which even faster than the stock nMP's SSD (>1000MB/s easily).

I know there are some other Wi-fi / BT4.0 card on the internet. However, I never use it, and those are mainly from some unknown China supplier, I really don't know are they work or not. If you want that card, better PM MVC, may be he can put you into the queue.

Don't have that monitor, can't tell.

If money is not an issue to you, why not? But for gaming purpose, can't see how the extra core helps ATM.

10. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Will game under OS X mostly. Just WoW, and some of the arkham games from the app store.

So then you would get the apple ssd and then use a pcie adapter card ?

What bt 4.0 are u using? because i remember when I had my mac pro I was always having a problem with the bt dropping with the magic mouse

11. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Yes, if I want a fast SSD now, I will get that. Native TRIM support, less trouble in Yosemite.

I just use a no brand USB dongle for BT 4.0. It cost $5 in a local store. I plug that into my wired Apple keyboard. Use BT Explorer to activate it. No reboot required, and the Mac will keep using this dongle as the primary BT.

My BT always work, however, when I install my USB3.0 card, I also install this dongle to secure my magic mouse connection. Works very well.