Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Understood but the original question was how to copy them. Remember every additional card is another point of failure. That is why I use 128GB cards in my E-M1 II. I use Lexar cards. If I had to start over buying new SD cards, I would purchasing the Sony G series 128GB.

Right now in the field I just use my iPad Pro 512GB. I will store around 30,000 raw files from my camera. I can use Image Capture to pull them off into my iMac.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Understood but the original question was how to copy them. Remember every additional card is another point of failure. That is why I use 128GB cards in my E-M1 II. I use Lexar cards. If I had to start over buying new SD cards, I would purchasing the Sony G series 128GB.
I use Sandisk and have never had one fail. As I have duel slots in both my cameras, I've got to have two fail before I lose a picture.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013

Right now in the field I just use my iPad Pro 512GB. I will store around 30,000 raw files from my camera. I can use Image Capture to pull them off into my iMac.

A bit off-topic as this has absolutely zero to do with transferring images out in the field...

I've never understood the habit of using such huge SD cards, if they crap themselves, that's a heck of a lot of images lost! I read somewhere on the interwebz a few years ago that 32GB was the magic threshold in this regard. I have caboodles of 32GB Class 10 SD cards, and spread the load across them for a days shoot, never keeping all the images on one.

As to more cards being more points of failure, that should say "potential" in there somewhere. I've never had any problems with my method of sharing the images across multiple cards. I'm sure that one day one of my cards will crap itself, but, by having the images stored on multiple cards, I'll only lose a small section of my images, not all of them.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
A bit off-topic as this has absolutely zero to do with transferring images out in the field...

I've never understood the habit of using such huge SD cards, if they crap themselves, that's a heck of a lot of images lost! I read somewhere on the interwebz a few years ago that 32GB was the magic threshold in this regard. I have caboodles of 32GB Class 10 SD cards, and spread the load across them for a days shoot, never keeping all the images on one.

As to more cards being more points of failure, that should say "potential" in there somewhere. I've never had any problems with my method of sharing the images across multiple cards. I'm sure that one day one of my cards will crap itself, but, by having the images stored on multiple cards, I'll only lose a small section of my images, not all of them.

The thread title does not limit the location.

I have never understood want to change out, handle, and track a handful of cards if the two in the body can stay there until time backup at night or even until time to come home. That approach has worked for me.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
The thread title does not limit the location.

I have never understood want to change out, handle, and track a handful of cards if the two in the body can stay there until time backup at night or even until time to come home. That approach has worked for me.
I don't have the option of two cards in my camera. There's only one slot and I work to a very tight budget, so a different camera is not an option for me at this stage. An SD card wrap with a dozen SD cards in it takes up no room at all.

The beauty of this photography hobby is that we can all do things in our own way, and there are many ways to do almost every aspect of it! :D

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I don't have the option of two cards in my camera. There's only one slot and I work to a very tight budget, so a different camera is not an option for me at this stage. An SD card wrap with a dozen SD cards in it takes up no room at all.

The beauty of this photography hobby is that we can all do things in our own way, and there are many ways to do almost every aspect of it! :D
Another piece of advice I read was if traveling always keep your SD cards on you. So if the worst happens and your bag is stolen you still have your images.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
That's sage advice!

Agreed. Keep you card wallet near your passport, money, and credit cards.

I like when some companies try to tell you to depend on the cloud for flawless transport of your thousands of raw images home after a week or two in backwoods Alaska or on safari in Africa. They forget there might not be any Internet and if there is, it is barely able to handle email without attachments.

Last edited:
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Agreed. Keep you card wallet near your passport, money, and credit cards.

I like when some companies try to tell you to depend on the cloud for flawless transport of your thousands of raw images home after a week or two in backwoods Alaska or on safari in Africa. They forget there might not be any Internet and if there is, it is barely able to handle email without attachments.
All I use the cloud for is to sync my text documents, a few spreadsheets, web browsing bookmarks and emails.

I couldn't think of anything worse than trying to sync RAW files via the cloud! Imagine doing that if you had a Sony A7III or Nikon 850. :rolleyes:

nvillone

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2018
philadelphia
All I use the cloud for is to sync my text documents, a few spreadsheets, web browsing bookmarks and emails.

I couldn't think of anything worse than trying to sync RAW files via the cloud! Imagine doing that if you had a Sony A7III or Nikon 850. :rolleyes:

So, I am headed off for a one week family trip w/ young kids. Plan on taking as many videos as possible. I was debating on buying more SD cards or getting the "My Passport Wireless Pro" External hard drive as mentioned a few post up and just downloading the videos onto that and keeping the SD cards I already have. Being that I am no professional and just want to make sure I do not run out of memory for the videos, what do you guys suggest?

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Over the past seven years my documentary crew has shot over 200,000 stills and hundreds of hours of video, totaling about 10 terabytes. In that entire period we had a single Sandisk SD card failure in the field, and recovery software got back 98% of the content for us. I had a Lexar SD card fail during initial testing but it never was deployed.

Thank you for attempting to introduce logic and reality to people's need to spend on tech.

While I share your experience with cards, I have had several friends bring their "broken" SD cards over in the hopes of retrieving their once in a lifetime photos, thousands of them. I figure my successful retrieval rate is around 98% to 100%. Hopefully the estimated 2% did not include any precious life moments. As I continue to cull about 80% of what I shoot.

But people have a neeed to buy gadgets. There's a couple of day old post on DPR. A user's experience with the Passport Wireless Pro. Part of the long passage of providing disappointment with backup devices and the promise of better solutions to come. Seems I took an SD card reader and a Palm Pilot on a trip in 2005. Nothing has changed since then.

Last edited:

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I ended up on long trips making my first copying my images into my iPad Pro. Second copy is made onto a WD Passport Pro. On the iPad I can cull and do light editing with Lr Mobile or Raw Power. Once both copies are made, the card is reformatted in camera and reused the following day.

When I get home I use Image Capture on the iMac to import into a temp folder. Then I have Lr import from the temp folder into my /Pictures containment tree of folders and subfolders. Lr will also do the file renaming I want done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.