Need a device to play Mini DVD tape to FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Marlin, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Marlin macrumors member

I want to get a consumer HiDef cam with mini tape but every time I select one I find out that FCP does not support it. Is there a device I can acquire that FCP supports and be able to insert the tape and be done with all the problems I hear about with interfacing with FCP??....Alert to all MBP owners don't connect 2 firewire ports at the same time ie. HD and camera all sorts of crazy stuff happens because there is only one chip for both ports.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

All HDV (miniDV tape-based consumer HD cameras) are supported by Final Cut Pro. Where have you heard otherwise?

btw, your title reads mini DVD tape... I'm pretty sure you mean miniDV. If you mean small DVDs, those record MPEG2 files. Those files can be converted using MPEGstreamclip into a format that works with FCP.

3. Marlin thread starter macrumors member

I'm checking the resource tab in Studio 2 at apple before I buy the camera. I was going to get the Sony HDR HC9 and it's not listed. Cannon is not an option for me as the filming takes place at sea and I hear to many complaints about loading the tapes due to moisture issues. Your right I meant miniDV. Thanks for the response.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

That Sony will work just fine. It shoots the same format as the Canon.

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

It's not listed because, as I read, it ALL HDV/Mini Tape camcorders are compatible.

I would buy that Sony in a heartbeat!

I have never had, nor heard of anyone having a problem with a TAPE BASED camcorder working on Macs.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

No problem using tape on boats. Just go down below when you need to open the camera if there is any chance at all of saltwater spray getting inside. I use a Sony miniDV cam in a housing to do underwater videos, works well (except I need to buy some bigger lights)