Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJJONES

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Newengland usa!
Any of you guys know of any external that power off the fw400 port or us. 2.0 port????
need one for MacBook pro power supply is annoying to connect when djing.

What's about that 500 gb internal samsung drive is that out yet can that work for mbp?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Any of you guys know of any external that power off the fw400 port or us. 2.0 port????
need one for MacBook pro power supply is annoying to connect when djing.

What's about that 500 gb internal samsung drive is that out yet can that work for mbp?

The Samsung is currently getting out to OEMs so it should be showing up soon. Most 2.5" enclosures will draw their power off USB or FW, but you'll need to look at the details to be certain.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Pretty much any 2.5" mobile HD (USB or firewire) will do so - largest available at present is Western Digital's 320gb passport drive (USB).

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Some USB models require that you plug in two USB connectors to your computer. This can be a pain when you have something else you need to use the second USB port for. I suggest you look for a Firewire model. Firewire provides a bit more juice.

DJJONES

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Newengland usa!
wow some of these bus powered externals are super expensive!!!!

Since I'm running a dj program that will get use the music out of the external what would be faster the external or run it off my mbp hd?

change

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2008
Who knows...
Some USB models require that you plug in two USB connectors to your computer. This can be a pain when you have something else you need to use the second USB port for. I suggest you look for a Firewire model. Firewire provides a bit more juice.

I second the Firewire vote, it will work much better for the things you will potentially do with it too. It ends up being faster because Firewire is a constant stream of data instead of bursts of packets (like USB).

wow some of these bus powered externals are super expensive!!!!

Since I'm running a dj program that will get use the music out of the external what would be faster the external or run it off my mbp hd?

The connection is faster internally, but you will be running programs and your OS off the internal along with accessing the music on it. Lots of wear on your drive, and the potential for a hick-up. Again, definitely go with the Firewire external.

DJJONES

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Newengland usa!
I second the Firewire vote, it will work much better for the things you will potentially do with it too. It ends up being faster because Firewire is a constant stream of data instead of bursts of packets (like USB).

The connection is faster internally, but you will be running programs and your OS off the internal along with accessing the music on it. Lots of wear on your drive, and the potential for a hick-up. Again, definitely go with the Firewire external.

well makes sense. but i have removed a ton of progs from my mac. ical i movie all those i programs even i tunes lol. ill post a print screen.
so wen im spinning live the only real program that should be running is serato along with all the other 1 or 2 lilttle things that u cant deactive on your mac. i mean if i got one those 320gbs and 4 gig ram whats the odds of hiccuping wen im djing live. i also think that but eliminating the external weather its fw 400 or usb 2.0 im gonna get faster repsonse on my dj set which is a MUST when djing.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    624 KB · Views: 57
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.