Need a good .avi to .mp4 converter for my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DevilInDisguise, May 8, 2011.

1. DevilInDisguise macrumors member

Hi,

I need a good .avi to .mp4 converter for my iPad. ive tried 2 free ones from the internet and 1 caused slight glitches with the sound and the other dulls the video..

do we have any good ipad video converters?

2. Smclemon macrumors newbie

Handbrake

Download handbrake video converter. It's free

3. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Former Handbrake user says Permute. Drop dead simple and nice files.

4. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

I'd normally say handbrake, but as air video uses handbrake, and it can queue them easily from the iPad app, I'd say air video. Plus you can stream your movies on your own network, or over the internetwebs.

5. cslogg macrumors newbie

Why do you need to convert?
    I have only had my ipad 2 for three days but one of the first apps I downloaded from the App store was a video player called AVPLAYERHD.
    Seems to play most formats.

cslogg

6. hatbrox macrumors member

When you have MKV movies in HD, you don't want to transfer these files to your ipad. my average MKV is 12 gb, my ipad is "only" 64gb (I wish Apple had a 128gb version!) so you see the reason now.

7. hatbrox macrumors member

I received my ipad 2 recently and was on the same hunt.
    I found Flash Video MX, HandBrake, iSkysoft Video Converter, Jubler or Tanbee Video Converter. They are many more.
    But they all have the same problem: you can't adjust the volume.

My wife unfortunately has not very good hearing. She tried a few movies on a flight but couldn't enjoy them as the sound was too low.

I haven't been able to find an encoder that runs on MAC OS (I've been told that on windows, NERO does a great job and can boost volume during conversion) but I don't have windows.

If anyone can suggest a software that boost volume, please let us know!!!
    I'm ready to pay for it, if needed!
    but I'm not ready to go to windows, just yet.

8. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

9. hatbrox macrumors member

I just tried it.

permute costs $15 while handbrake is free.
    The only difference I noticed is a small (but nice) integration with itunes.
    but that's not worth $15

10. hatbrox macrumors member

a small degree, indeed. but until I found a better software, this will still help a bit.

Thanks for the tip.

11. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

I'd vote Handbrake, another alternative is Video Monkey which also does metadata and itunes import.

Both are free.

12. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Handbrake does everything you need, it's multi threaded and open source. A lot of these paid for video apps use or are based on open source libraries anyway.

13. vinacrom macrumors newbie

14. charles98 macrumors newbie

I've had this same problem, and tried a bunch of iPad converters for my G5 PPC with no luck. Ended up going with aisee ipad converter, which has a ipad 2 function support so you can basically convert video to ipad 2 and convert any other video format into your ipad 1 compatible video and audio formats. It's a paid program, but super cheap compared to other video converter Plus I think they give discounts to students. I think it's $29 regular and $25 for students. Has a bunch of extra features as well, that come in handy from time to time. Hope this helps!

15. ThatsMeRight, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Converting usually results in smaller files (saves you some extra space). Besides: all the videos the iPad can play by 'standard' will be decoded by hardware. The apps you are using are decoding by software, and thus resulting in lower battery life.

There are some advantages, and if you have the time to convert than it's really a small thing to do.

I use Any Video Converter. It converts really a lot of files (including music files if you want to). It does a lot, and the best of all (for me at least): if you have a multi-core computer, it makes use of all these cores (so converting goes much faster).

AVC is, in my opinion, much more user-friendly. It's quite easy to understand with an easy GUI, but the advanced user can also configure quite a lot. I also find it to make much better use of multi-core PCs.

16. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Another nod towards Handbrake. Super simple to use and is also quite adjustable for the advanced user as well.

17. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

Id use Handbrake to convert or Goodplayer to watch on iPad.

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

What you're describing are typical symptoms of poor encoding settings/optimization and that applies to any device -- not just the iPad. Try playing with the settings, if you can. Or get Handbrake, as suggested countless times above, and try its presets.

...and worse performance but otherwise +1.

Why do you assume that your solution is one-size-fits-all?

19. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I use Adapter. It's very easy to use and it converts audio, video and images and you can also use it to download videos. Occasionally I use it to convert a YouTube video to an mp3 file

20. Xeyad, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

Xeyad macrumors 6502

For converting, use Handbrake. But I wouldn't bother converting if I were you.

AVPlayerHD can play all sorts of file formats, even 1080p MKV files on A5+ chips, which also uses hardware decoding so the battery life is just as good as playing mp4 files.

If you're worried about space, I'd suggest streaming over ftp. You can create a FTP connection from your computer, and so many of these WiFi hard-drives have FTP functionality to them. You can stream video files to the iPad, and it'll play smoothly. Yes, AVPlayer is capable to stream 1080p MKVs too, without any hiccups. If you're streaming mp4 files, Safari can stream them for you. For movies, even a 64GB iPad isn't enough in my opinion, so I have a separate WiFi disk that I use for streaming movies.