Need a good outlining/note taking application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Flipside186, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Flipside186 macrumors member

Okay, so I just got a new MBP... I've been a PC user up to this point. I am in law school. All of my outlines until now have been done on microsoft word which is rather tedious and tends to be rather difficult to work with (sometimes MS word formatting has a mind of its own). I have word on my mac and I have seen the note taking template. What I would like to know if there is an application that would be more productive for lengthy outlines. I like to be able to customize the layout of the outline levels (i.e. "I." "A." "1." "a." "i." etc.). My outlines generally run about 40-50 pages. Any suggestions of applications to look at would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

3. Flipside186 thread starter macrumors member

4. steveoc macrumors regular

Omnioutliner is great for strictly outlining. Circus Ponies Notebook is another good outliner that has other capabilities for note taking. Curio also has good outlining capabilities and is a kind of knowledge management tool. Scrivener, a writing tool, also has outlining. Inspiration is an application that can toggle between mind mapping and outlining, but does not support an OPML export as the others can. Novamind toggles between outlines and mindmaps, but version 4 was only fair. Version 5 will hopefully be released soon and do the job better. Unlike Inspiration, it does support OPML exports.

5. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

In addition to the the great suggestions in the above post (I use Notebook for some projects), if you want top of the line note taking, organization, and outlining, then consider Tinderbox. The learning curve is quite steep, but it can accommodate new users for even simple projects. You will never outgrow its power. You can view data in multiple independent, but connected ways at the same time (map, outline, chart, etc.). I think some of the power users are in law/courtroom professions (Tinderbox Forums.

I have purchased it in the past two weeks and am using for developing seminary curriculum, extensive staff notes, and major writing projects (also use Scrivener).

6. steveoc macrumors regular

Tinderbox should have been among my initial suggestions. I don't have the hang of it yet, but I plan to use it to plow through some upcoming projects.

Last I looked it was $50 off.

The creators of Tinderbox also makes Twig which also looks like a good note taking application. It is also currently discounted.

7. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

For a while Scrivener owners could get TB for $150 ($100 off). Not sure if that is still in effective.