Need a good, portable, powerful, and functional mouse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nGoldenm, Jul 17, 2007.

1. nGoldenm macrumors newbie

Ok, so I've been searching the net looking for a mouse that meets my needs/wants. I've finally given in and need help.

Ideally, I would want a bluetooth mouse that is comfortable enough to use for long periods of time, is fairly portable (no overly large or small mice), has horizontal and vertical scrolling, and is very accurate in its tracking. I do a good bit of designing in CAD programs, so accuracy and ability to detect small mouse movements is very important. Extra buttons would be great as well (for expose and forward/back buttons for web surfing.

Mighty Mouse is out because of the scroll ball. I have used several different ones, and EVERY one had scroll ball issues. That will not do. The only bluetooth mouse that seemed to fit most of my criteria was the Kensington Si670m. I don't know how well this tracks or functions though. Any opinions or other suggestions?

The reason I would like to get a bluetooth mouse is obviously so I won't have to use that dongle that RF mice use. But, I'm not completely shutting them out. I've looked at the Logitech VX and it looks like it would probably be my best bet at this time. I have some questions about it though.

1)How big is the dongle? Can you give me a reference to something as to how big it is? I use my MBP on my lap a good chunk of the time while sitting in my chair or couch and I'm afraid that I will hit the dongle on something and break it if it sticks out too far.
    2)Can I program and use all of the buttons of the VX in OSX? Such as, can I program the middle click (scroll wheel) button to do expose, have the two side buttons go forward or backward in webpages and finder, and have the zoom function be program specific?

If you're still reading, thanks. I appreciate it.

2. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I just bought myself a Razer Diamondback and all I can say is that this mouse is fantastic, it was well worth it.

For me it was a choice between Logitech and Razer, since the last few Logitech things I bought sucked it narrowed the field down to Razer.

All I can say is that it feels great to use, has 7 buttons, sooooo smooth, sooooo accurate and looks awsome or in the words of Homer "You could say it's groin grabbingly awsome".

Get one you wont be disappointed I know I'm not.

3. nGoldenm thread starter macrumors newbie

All of Razer's mice are wired aren't they? I would rather stay away from wired mice, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

4. starlabs macrumors member

I have both the VX and MX. Love them both!

The dongle is pretty small... I'd say it sticks out about 1 1/2 inches. Not too bad. The mouse houses the dongle when it's not in use.

You can program all the buttons - just not with the Logitech software. I don't know what it is about Logitech, but their hardware is usually very well made but their software is always crappy.

Luckily there are two alternatives on Mac OS X to the Logitech software. You can use SteerMouse or USB Overdrive to reprogram the buttons. They're both non-free software (with trial periods) but they're worth it, IMO. Personally I use Steermouse myself. It works great.

I map Expose to one of the buttons. I do this by mapping a keyboard combination that I don't use to Expose and mapping the mouse to activate that key combo, thereby activating Expose.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my first thought when reading the title was the VX Revolution.

1. the dongle is tiny. maybe an inch long, and as wide and tall as a usb plug, i use it with my macbook while in bed, no issues with it sticking out.

2. yes you can, with either the Logitech software or an app like Steermouse or USB overdrive (not sure if either of those work to be honest as i haven't tired them, but others have)

my buttons are configured as standard: the side buttons are default for forward/back in webpages, and there is a search button that brings up spotlight too.

i'd recommend it.

6. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Yeah they are wired.