Need a good tutorial on writing/understanding code

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hoogen, Aug 10, 2010.

1. hoogen macrumors regular

hoogen

hello, i am in need of a good tutorial (like a pdf or web document) on how to write code/understanding code in themes and apps. i have played around with it for a while but i still dont understand what a lot of it means. i just need a good write up on what things mean like ".ccs files" or how to view/understand ".html" files like for a widget and what a ".js" file is. why do you need a widget.png and a widget.html and how they interact with eachother i have used and edited a lot of the stuff in these files but i dont know what the majority of it means. i just want to have a better understanding. thanks for the help, if i get any. :eek:

2. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

3. AWD iPhone macrumors member

AWD iPhone

4. hoogen thread starter macrumors regular

hoogen

thanks for the help, now i just need a tutorial on how to use this "google" thing

5. idevSteve macrumors member

You should look into taking a web design class. You can learn some of the basics and then build on what you have learned. The files you are speaking of above are all things you will learn about in a beginners web design class.

.css = (cascading stylesheet)
    .html = (hypertext markup language)
    .js = (javascript)

6. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

http://tinyurl.com/baelaa

7. hoogen thread starter macrumors regular

hoogen

thanks for the help, now i just need a tutorial on how to be "funny" like you guys

and thank you idevSteve for some actual help. at least 1/4th of the people on here are actually helpful

8. Brannyh macrumors member

Books!

The resources online are ok but if you are in the city or suburbs I guarantee you there will be lots of books on code at your library!

9. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Seriously? You ask for a tutorial to help you understand and write computer code? 1 tutorial? Not years of eduction, self or otherwise... You have got to expect silly answers with such a ridiculous question .

10. Claude626 macrumors 6502

Response #2 is definitely appropriate. I don't think that was a joke.

Also, why is this in the iPhone hacks section? Asking about web development?

11. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Anybody can program, they have iPhone Programming courses for Middle School students. Programming well is the only thing that takes "years of education," which I don't think is what the OP is looking for.

Edit: I read the OP; he wants to do basic web development which can easily be taught in a matter of days if not hours.

12. hoogen thread starter macrumors regular

hoogen

how is this a ridiculous question? i was just asking about what yall have found helpful online. i am more than willing to go take a class and play around with it and figure it out but i also what to read up on it and see how other people are developing iphone apps/themes. and you must be stupid to think that i just wanted "1" tutorial. what should have i said? "hello, i am in need of 12 tutorials". pretty much everybody on this website needs to get there crappy attitude out of their ass and help people out with their questions, whether it is a "ridiculous" one or not.

13. hoogen thread starter macrumors regular

hoogen

yes, it was appropriate, and it is in the iphone hacks section because all of the iphone hacks require code in order to be made/put on the phone for everyone to use, no matter how simple it is
    thank you for understanding what i was asking. and i understand how most of this stuff works, i just dont know all the technical info and what everything means.

14. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Are you trying to create a website, an iPhone program, or a mobile website tailored to the iPhone?

15. hoogen thread starter macrumors regular

hoogen

more of an iphone program, i am mainly trying to learn how to link widgets and other things to themes. like adding animated weather to the htc hd2 theme i made, i have other weather widgets on file (snow/rain/clouds) going across the screen, and i want to figure out how to link those widgets to the hd2 theme. so instead of a "sun.png" icon coming up, the "animated sun widget" activates.

16. Claude626 macrumors 6502

You're looking at the wrong programing languages...

17. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Learning to program might not be the best approach to getting what you want to solve. Could you be a bit more clear on what you're exactly trying to do?

18. hoogen thread starter macrumors regular

hoogen

ok, programming probably wasnt the best way to put it. i am oretty much wanting to make an animated htc hd2 weather/clock theme

this is what i have so far, the clouds in the background are animated, and i want to incorporate that with the weather icon on the hd2 widget

[​IMG]