Need a good word processor for mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fardogg, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Fardogg macrumors newbie

I've just been bringing over Appleworks 6 from my last computers because there doesn't seem to be any solid word processor that comes standard with the new macs anymore. The Office trial version isn't an option either because it'll eventually expire.
    I just need something that will easily convert files that will be viewable for windows and Macs without any hassle.
    Any suggestions, thanks a lot.

2. munson macrumors 6502

munson

All I know is that Pages in the iWork '08 Suite solves all my word processing problems as a college kid.

3. insanepilot macrumors newbie

insanepilot

Try Neo Office. It's free, and you can do a lot with it; it's also like pages and numbers into one program.

4. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Word processor? Bean!

Definitely check out Bean.

http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

It's solid and quick. NeoOffice and OpenOffice beta do everything but they're mighty slow. All three are free, too.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

6. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

Pages in iWorks will open your AppleWorks 6 word processing (.cwk) files.

7. Fardogg thread starter macrumors newbie

anything that I can possibly have without paying for it?

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

abiword and openoffice are both free.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Let us not forget TextEdit. It can read and write plain text (.txt), HTML (.html), Word (.doc), and Word XML (.docx). It is a part of every installation of MacOS X.

10. insanepilot macrumors newbie

insanepilot

Yes, Neo office, as I said before, is free and PC compatible. Not only does it have spreadsheat and word processing, but presentation, drawing, and database. Very good program, and completely free. Of course, they are probably open to donations. I got mine from the same link that the above post links.

11. Alida macrumors newbie

Alida

I like Neo-Office

Hi. I like the open source Neo-Office. It doesn't seem to be the target of hackers as much as other open source office software too.

I use so many open source software applications with my Mac.

12. kolax macrumors G3

I use both Office 2008:Mac and iWork.

Pages is way more responsive than Word, but I still prefer using Word. I like the layout better (I have page layout), and I've always been a Word user from my Windows days.

I do use Pages now and again - the templates are good.

13. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

so iWork would be a decent choice for students? im not tryna break the bank on microsoft office when i buy my mac in august since iWork is cheaper.

14. rubberball macrumors newbie

Check with your campus bookstore for buying MS Office, they sometimes have cheaper prices than even the "Student and Teacher" versions of office. At my uni it was 75 USD for MS Mac Office 2008.

I don't know if pages can save in word formats, thus this might be a reason to go the open source route or Office 08 route.

Though I can't knock good ole text pad!

15. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

I did all of my college work using a combination of Neo Office for spreadsheets, Keynote for presentations, and Bean for word processing. Bean is really a top-notch freeware, IMO.

16. dbwie macrumors 6502

what do you want to do with the word processor?

You can choose any word processor you want. It all boils down to what you need one for, and what you want to spend. You can convert any document to pdf in Mac OS X to share with others.

TextEdit is free and underrated. Pages in iWork '08 is very nice for many tasks. Can beat the price of NeoOffice. Microsoft Office is predominant in the windows world, but I fear the day, soon to come, that they will switch to a subscription model.

Don't forget Google docs, which is free and keeps your stuff in the cloud.