Need a Google Maps API to show Wifi availability based on address..

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Jun 29, 2010.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

The company I work for provides wireless internet connectivity via tower mounted AP's all over the county. We would like to include on our website a way for potential customers to input their address, and then see on a map whether or not they are within range of one of our towers.

This would also be useful for us to find out if new customers who don't yet have an internet connection are within range before even doing a site survey.

It does not have to involve an Google Maps API necessary, but something similar would be great. Does anyone know anything about this?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Have you checked out Google's own Maps API? You can do all sorts of nifty stuff with it, including sticking your own markers on the map and searching for addresses and whatnot.

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/index.html

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Yes, that is what I'm looking for, thanks! I don't know much about this stuff, so I need someone to tell me what it is that I'm looking for exactly. =)

I'd like to be able to do a couple things:

- Allow users to enter their address and see it on the map.
    - Show on the map the location of each of our towers.
    - Provide an easy way for users to see if they are within range of the tower (i.e. a shaded green circle around each tower depicting it's estimated range.

How difficult would these items be to incorporate?