Need a Graphics Card Recommendation & Help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Loyalty4Life, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Loyalty4Life macrumors regular

I am currently using a Radeon x1900 512MB card. It seems to work well for video editing, and I've enjoyed it. But I am really wanting to get into gaming on Windows with Boot Camp (flying and racing simulations), and although I have a lack of knowledge with video cards, I believe I can do better with what I have right now.

I know that the nVIDIA 8800GT is available. I just have a few questions about possible configurations. Please answer them all if possible.

1. Does gaming work well with the 8800GT on Windows even if there is no official driver for it on Windows? (this is what I have read)
    2. Would I see a decrease in performance with things like video editing, etc, if I got the 8800? Does it work well with video editing?
    3. The mac pro has more than one slot for video cards. I am not against using more than one if possible! What do you recommend?
    4. Is it possible to use 2 8800's in the machine? Would both PC games and the Mac recognize a total of 1GB to handle gaming and video editing better?
    5. Is the Radeon 3870 a better fit than the 8800?
    6. What's the best solution in your opinion with my needs and requirements?

I do appreciate your time and feedback! Thank you.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

OS X doesn't stack video cards, and you can't use SLI. If you want to get the benefit of two cards, get two Radeon 3870 and run games in Windows in CrossFire. That's it. You will see no benefit from this in OS X.

The 8800 GT is better for games. The 3870 is better for pro applications.

3. JollyRogers macrumors regular

Agree w/ above. However, you can run the ATI 3870 in crosslink mode while booted in windows. OSX will not though, but it will recognize both cards, and w/ Snow Leopard it may actually use the GPU's.

I went with the 8800GT. Even after my first one broke... but I will probably upgrade when we see the cards that come with the new 09 Mac Pros. I am hoping for something nice, but if it's an ATI, I know I will be getting two.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If they work with your computer at all.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If you want 1 card to work with both OS X and Win, get either GF8800 GT or R3870.

GeForce runs games slightly faster than Radeon, but Pro apps are slower on it.