Need a great External HDD..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SSpiro, Jul 10, 2007.

1. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

What is the jumpoff these days?

I would like to phase out my PC completely. Right now I use it to manage music (about 120GB) and videos (0GB right now, but firing up Final Cut Pro as well as archiving DVD's).

I am using a MBP. Funny - actually I use my MBP in my lap, in the living room for the most part, and will keep the external drive under my side table.

Thinking about picking up a 500GB or 750GB internal SATA drive, and then a fw400 enclosure.

Any thoughts? Budget is about $250.

2. obelix112za macrumors member

I'd say look at the Buffalo Linkstation. they're suppose to be extremely reliable, I'm getting one once I buy my 20" iMac (still a few months away)

3. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Looks pretty slick, but out of my budget for any decent size..

4. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

If all you want is FW400, you should be able to get a setup for a good bit below your budget. I haven't been looking specifically for FW400 enclosures, but I am getting a quad-interface enclosure from OWC to go with a Samsung SpinPoint T 500GB SATA drive from Newegg (on the way now).

If you're interested, these are the two products:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEFW924AL1K/
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822152052

I'm sure of course that if you looked you could find a much cheaper SATA enclosure that stops at FW400. Of course, you may want to go with an enclosure that has a faster interface if you ever consider upgrading in the future.

5. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro