Need a Guide for HD replacement on an early 2008 17" Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gwerhart0800, Mar 24, 2009.

1. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I purchased a new 500GB WD drive to replace the original 250GB drive, I have searched the Forum and Googled many variations, but I can't find a guide on drive replacement for the early 2008 17" MacBook Pro. Fixit has a guide for the 15" ... is that close enough?

Also, this is a work system, purchased in August of last year and has Applecare. I am assuming that Apple will not service anything I break or the new HD, but I am hopeful that everything else would still be covered. Is this true? Or will I screw myself by cracking the case to do this?

Thanks in advance ...

2. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

I have done this on my 15". It is not too hard, just be very careful. If you send it to Apple Care for anything (assuming it's still under warranty), put the original HD back in first.

3. Gerri Shin macrumors member

I actually just replaced my MBP hard drive with a WD one yesterday. I got many good tips in this thread. While mine is a 15" I'm not exactly sure what differences there are between them, and I would assume that the removal of the upper case is the same between the 2.

4. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

If you're under warranty (or Applecare,) cracking the case technically will void it - there are too many things you could damage while you're MBP is wide open which could cause other problems, so even if you do it perfectly... if Apple can tell you've been in there they could just refuse you coverage - so it's a risk.

I just had mine replaced with a WD500, and paid a certified Apple service center (not an Apple store) to do it for me, and asked the tech just these questions. I'm not sure how true this is, but he said there are some little seals that are broken when the case is cracked open which are replaced with new ones... but he told me that if I brought it in (to him, not Apple) for a GPU issue in the future, he'd not even give the hard drive issue a second thought, but go straight at the problem. If I send it directly to Apple, I'd be risking having my replacement drive and any memory upgrades removed and the laptop returned to its 'original' configuration as part of their 'repair.' Also, if I replaced the drive myself in the future, as long as I brought the laptop to him for Applecare service (and hadn't actually done any damage...) he'd be okay with it. If I send to Apple, and they see unauthorized entry - then the user becomes the scapegoat, and the warranty is kaput.

I guess the whole thing can depend on who you're dealing with and how reasonable they will be if you encounter future issues with you MBP. I think it will be a huge advantage to actually know the person who will be servicing the machine - if that's possible. If they realize you know what you're doing, you can probably do a lot more "self-service" without getting into trouble. Just keep in mind as I mentioned, that all of this does come with some risk to your warranty/Applecare plan. If I were you, I'd talk this issue up with a few Apple-certified service centers - speak to the technicians and get some feedback. You might find someone who will work with you much more individually and reasonably than others.

5. machomer macrumors regular

The HD is a user upgradeable item. I don't think that you will need to put your old HD back in for service.

6. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

The prior generation MBPs are not considered user upgradeable for HDs by Apple. The new ones are.

If it's under warranty, they'll probably put the machine back into its original configuration in either case (previous gen. or new) - they view the machine as a complete system. I wouldn't risk my upgrade drive or memory on this one, because if it's not Apple warranted hardware, they'll remove it. I've heard this from several Apple certified techs, who were speaking about sending machines back to Apple, not necessarily doing the work in their shops.

7. gwerhart0800 thread starter macrumors 6502

Fixit 15" guide is close enough ...

After consulting with my boss (it's a work machine), I did the upgrade. I followed this guide from ifixit.com:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...-Duo-Model-A1211-Hard-Drive-Replacement/459/1

It is very close ... there are a few steps with an extra screw, but they are all obvious. The sleep light & IR sensor stuff in step 12 are along side the HD and are actually easier to remove.

The only "gotcha" I ran into was the ambient light sensor was stuck to the left hand side speaker grill when I lifted up the keyboard/top cover. It took me a moment to figure out what it was and to find the place that it belonged on the MB. It was easy to pry it off and put it in place.

All total, I think I went 20 minutes from start to finish.

The new drive is a WD 500GB 5400 rpm "blue". For me, it is about 10c cooler than the 250GB stock drive it replaced and there is no change in the noise level.