need a guru to help get iphone to place calls

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lstorm2003, Jul 5, 2009.

1. lstorm2003 macrumors newbie

** Is there any other way to get this iphone to work with my sim card ??? :

I am new to the iphone. Just got an old iphone 2g as a gift from a friend. I am already with AT&T. I have a 3G SIM card in my current phone. The iphone I am trying to use (2g) already has the new (3.0 I think) software installed on it and it is all wiped out. Like factory settings or whatever...

So anyway, I put my SIM in and it wants Itunes. So I plug in Itunes and it wants me to register my iphone. I click continue, and it says if I proceed I am going to lose my 25% national account discount. I do not want to lose my discount, to be honest I just want to sort of try this thing out without telling AT&T. I already have a data plan so that should be no problem. Then if I like it I'm going to upgrade to a 3gs anyway.

** Is there any other way to get this iphone to work with my sim card ??? **

PS I tried jailbreaking it and unlocking it. That allowed the iphone to turn on and run apps, and connect via wifi to internet, but still no phone service. (doesn't say "AT&T" at the top left like it should when your online for phone calls)

Someone told me I can use someone elses SIM to activate the phone, then I should be able to put my SIM card in, and it will work. Is this true?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The reason you are going to lose the discount is because it is on an original iPhone. However, unlocking the phone should circumvent this. I would check out the hacks forums and make sure you did the unlock correctly.