Need a hard shell for a rMBP. Speck just isn't cutting it anymore.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VI™, Feb 24, 2014.

1. VI™ macrumors 6502a

I have a Speck satin case for my rMBP. I've always had Speck cases on my MBPs and they've been great, but this one started showing stress cracks around the edges of the top case right after installing it and from reading online reviews, this is a common occurence.

What other hard shells are out there that are similar to a Speck case for a rMBP that won't crack from the sheer stress of installation. :rolleyes:

Any reccomendations?

2. IGregory, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Its a bit pricey but the "Moshi 15" iGlaze Shell Case for MacBook Pro with Retina Display" is probably the best. I have the black one and I like it a lot. My rMBP looks very sharp enclosed in the Moshi case. I also had the Speck case, "clear" but got rid of it because I could not keep it clean. Apple Store, B&H and Amazon.

3. mneblett macrumors 6502

I agree that the Moshi is just about the "best" choice in hard cases -- I have one on my late '13 15" rMBP.

BUTTTT ... I'm on the second one, as the corners of the top half develop multiple cracks. The second one is a warranty replacement that was installed only about a week ago, and it is already starting to crack (and I baby my machine).

I was also rather annoyed by the customer service approach to the warranty replacement. I was given the choice of either going without a hard case for at least a week, or being forced to purchase another case from their website, then getting a refund credited to my account once I submitted proof the old case was destroyed. I chose the latter, as I did not want to leave the machine unprotected. From start to finish the process took ~2 weeks, and I was out-of-pocket $65 for most of that time. Not the kind of service that encourages customer loyalty/repeat purchases.

4. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

The laptop is made of aluminum, and from what I hear, it does not crack or do anything else funny (unless you throw it across the room, perhaps). What's the point of adding a fragile plastic shell? It doesn't make the laptop look any better, it does not add any protection against serious impacts, it is an extra expense and ends up looking worse when it starts cracking or gets covered in fingerprints. Protection against scratches? I've had an MBP for 5.5 years and the only part of the shell that got damaged was the palm rest (due to me wearing watches, bracelets), and these cases do not cover that part either way.

5. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Even I had a thought of buying one of the Satin cases for the rMBP are they not a good option ? when compared against the Hard shell Case ? What is better Satin or Hard shell ? Any users who would like yo post their experiences more ?

----------

You could use a Palmguard to not let that happen !!

6. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

I had that for a while, but it quickly became more ugly than the scratches it was supposed to prevent.

7. taz92 macrumors newbie

I've had my smart shell on my 13inch cmbp for over a month and no scratches at all and I travel to and from school with it. I'm starting to wonder what everyone means when they say they baby their Mac. Maybe I got lucky or it really could be that their quality team sucks.

8. VI™ thread starter macrumors 6502a

This sounds like what Speck does and I'm not trying to be without a case while they do the warranty swap.

This is where my rMBP has gone and will go today. From home to work. From work to school. From school to home. From home to a tutoring session. From a tutoring session to the girlfriend's house. From the girlfriend's house to home. It gets used at pretty much all locations except for work. When the weather warms up, it's going to be going all those places on a motorcycle.

I like to have a little bit extra protection.

And not to mention, aluminum can scratch and dent. If my computer is sitting some where and something would happen that would cause small scratches or possibly even a small dent (drop a power brick on one perhaps?) that case will take the damage and the computer won't. When I'm ready to sell it, it will still look like new and I'll be able to ask a higher price than one that's not in pristine condition.

----------

I like the matte appearance of the satin cases, its just cracking on me.

9. mneblett macrumors 6502

For me, it's the scratches. You may not have experienced them, but my '08 unibody MBP did.

I believe I'm as careful as the next guy, but "stuff" happens. For example, today during a phone call I had to put down a file quickly, and it ended up on top of my rMBP. Later when I picked it up, the sharp edges of the folding metal strips at the top of the file (two-hole punch retainers) dragged across the top of the case, gouging scratches into the Moshi case (arrgh!). No question that the currently-pristine MBP lid would have been lightly scarred. Avoidable, in hindsight, yes -- but no one has perfect foresight all the time, so I use a hard case to minimize the impact of the inevitable "oops" moments.

Part of the issue is that having an unmarred MBP case matters to me (in part to enhance its value someday when I sell it); this may not be something you are concerned about -- no problem, that's your choice. But that doesn't mean that no one has a good reason to use one.

10. yabot macrumors regular

just get one off ebay ffs they are like £8 and mines lasted 5 months not a single problem and still looks new.

11. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

I've got a Speck case on both my 13" and 15" rMBP's and so far no cracking on either. Its saved me from some scratches on both machines, and thats what I was more worried about. I've had no experience with the Moshi cases, but the Speck's have always been good for me

12. klover macrumors 6502a

STM from Radtech. Have it on my RMBP and love it.

13. VI™ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mine was $40 brand new and cracked within one month of installing it. Unacceptable, ffs.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't understand why people use hard shells, but a friend of mine uses the Power Support Air Jacket and it seems to hold up well. She's been using it for like 2 years now on the same computer.

15. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Love the speck hard shells. Always use clear to retain that naked look. :)