Need a HD camera with Hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AVE, Feb 3, 2010.

1. AVE macrumors newbie

Need a good high definition camera, to record directly to Mac book pro(final Cut express), then upload to FTP for someone else to edit?

Any ideas or recommendations! Budget is up to $1500 for camera.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So you wanna use FCE to capture directly from the camera as it is used?

Or do you wanna use the camera and then import the recorded footage into FCE?

For the first I think only HDV cameras might be able to do that due to their Firewire port, as USB does not allow an HD video stream (afaik).

PS: If it is the first, consider changing your thread title to something more descriptive. Example: need HD camera to record live with FCE

3. AVE thread starter macrumors newbie

need HD camera to record live with FCE

Thanks for the correction.

I looking for a camera to record directly into FInal cut express. I need to upload, via FTP site, for editing?

price range up to $1500

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Btw, FCE will capture the HD material with the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) which will result in big files (25GB to 49GB per hour of captured video - info here).

Can your internet connection handle that?

Have you looked into HDV cameras yet?

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You'll need an HDV camera for that, HDD and Flash-based cameras will not do it unless they have a firewire port, and I'm not aware of any that do. I highly recommend the Canon HV40 for something like this. At $1k, it's well within your budget and the picture off it is very, very good. I have an HV20, and I use it for all my video stuff. You can search iThinkergoiMac on YouTube to see what I've done.

Something that is the next step up from an HV40 (into the prosumer range) will likely max out your budget, but you could look at Canon's prosumer HDV lines to see what's available.