Need a Hi-Def camcorder on a budget!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nickyj182, May 31, 2008.

1. nickyj182 macrumors regular

nickyj182

This is a two prong question:

1. Are there any places where you can rent hi-def camcorders?

2. Whats a solid choice of a hi-def cam to buy? On a budget of course! Me and my friends make tons of shorts, as a hobby mind you!

Thanks a ton!

2. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

What kind of budget do you have?

I just bought a Sony HVR-AE1 which has 1080i for £1,608

From my experience using 3CCD SD camcorders, I don't think you can go wrong with Sony or Canon.

3. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Check out the Canon HV30 or the HV20 if you can find them. They offer fantastic HD video quality on mini-dv tape. They are fantastic bangs/buck.

4. thewiicast macrumors newbie

I have just the thing for you. It's called the Aiptek A-HD camera. It's about $149.99 shoots in 720 and 1080, connects to a tv for direct capture and there's a bundle on sale at best buy RIGHT NOW that includes an extra battery, case and 2gb SDcard. It's also a great mac camera because it records and automatically encodes video into quicktime format so it's ready to import. It's definitely not a professional camera but it's great for the price. A good introduction to HD video. You'll need a tripod as this camera doesn't have any image stabilization. Here's a link:
    Best Buy Aiptek Page

5. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

For a cheap but good (limited) camcorder, the Aiptek isn't half bad.
    I bought one for my daughter for Christmas. It shoots 720p.
    I have a Sony SD camcorder. The Aiptek looks very good for what it is.
    To edit HD, you need some computer hardware. My MacBook can handle HD, but my Power G5 can't.

6. antdfsc macrumors member

antdfsc

it depends on your budget, you could spend anywhere from $1000-$100,000. Renting can get pretty exspensive, I would check out the Sony HVR-A1, its like $1800 after a rebate from sony at bhphotovideo.com Other then that there are more consumer based HDV cameras and you can find them at a place like best buy. It all depends on your budget and what level of control and quality you need....

7. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Another HD camera for about $1000 is the Casio EX-F1.
    My brother just bought one. Interesting features.

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I think it's hard to top the HV20/HV30 for picture quality: price. They are also great low-light performers. Search vimeo.com for 'hv20' and you will pull up a lot of great footage.

If you really want to save, look for the HV20 as it was recently discontinued for the HV30 model (which offers only small incremental improvements and equivalent picture quality.) You should be able to find it for $700 or less.

They use regular DV tape which is very cheap.

9. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

I second the HV20 suggestion... it's cheaper than it's new replacement, the HV30, and has almost everything the HV30 has.

In fact, the HV20 shouldn't be as good as it is for the price... it's an amazing buy. There's a whole forum dedicated to Hv20 users, too (www.hv20.com).

Only bad thing about it is that the focus wheel is a little less responsive than you'd like... it's sometimes a bit difficult to that perfect focal shift. That, and I guess that the lack of an eye-cup or rubber piece at all means that using it without the screen is a pain.